Pasture feed budgeting presentation now online
21 May 2020
Victoria’s livestock producers are now able to watch an Agriculture Victoria pasture feed budgeting presentation online.
The one-hour presentation, delivered as a webinar earlier this month, provides practical information and advice about incorporating early pasture into livestock feed budgets.
Veterinary Officer Cathy Bunter said pasture feed budgets help producers to identify the value of the feed they have on-hand in paddocks.
Other benefits of completing a pasture feed budget, include:
- Increased understanding of how to make the most of autumn growth without overgrazing
- Understanding the importance of soil and plant health of paddocks
- Knowing the supplementary feed requirements of livestock and how to feed stock efficiently
Dr Bunter’s presentation also covers how to determine the quality and quantity of feed on hand in a paddock, the benefits of a feed test (including best advice on collecting samples) and how to interpret the results.
Watch the recording of the ‘Autumn feed budgeting’ webinar / phone seminar.
Similar presentations to help with pasture feeding decisions at this time of year are also available online, including;
- Lisa’s Warn’s presentation on ‘Using soil moisture and temperature data for optimising winter growth’
- Cam Nicholson’s ‘The value of grazing weeds”
See Conference videos.
More information about feed testing can also be found on Agriculture Victoria’s feedinglivestock.vic.gov.au website. For enquiries contact Tess McDougall on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0409 841 492.
The pasture feed budgeting webinar was delivered by Agriculture Victoria with funding from the Victorian Government’s 2019–20 drought support package.
For more information about drought and dry seasonal conditions support and advice go to agriculture.vic.gov.au/dryseasons.
Contact Name: Deb Banks
Contact Number: 0447 388 193
Categorised under: Agriculture