Our role in animal welfare
Agriculture Victoria carries out a number of important animal welfare related functions, such as:
- Provide administrative and technical support to the Victorian Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (AWAC), Domestic Animals Management Implementation Committee (DAMIC), Wildlife and Small Consultancies Animal Ethics Committee and the Animal Ethics Committee Advisory Committee
- Resolve issues raised by animal welfare agencies and organisations responsible for animal welfare and management.
- Facilitate the operation of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986, Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2008, Domestic Animals Act 1994, Domestic Animals Regulations 2005, Impounding Livestock Act 1994 and Impounding Livestock Regulations 2008.
- Review and develop codes of practice, guidelines and standards for the protection and promotion of good welfare for all animals.
- Provide advice to Municipalities to facilitate their implementation of the Domestic Animals Act 1994, the Domestic Animals Regulations 1996, Impounding Livestock Act 1994, Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 and the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2008.
- Regulate the use of animals in research and teaching.
- Provide representation on the national Agricultural Ministers' Animal Welfare Task Group to liaise with animal welfare representatives from Australian and New Zealand governments, the CSIRO and Animal Health Australia.
- Monitor animal welfare developments in other states/territories, countries, research organisations and welfare organisations.
Animal welfare and domestic animal management is a sensitive and complex field, high on the list of government priorities and it holds a prominent position in the interests of the general community.
Victorian organisations or individuals interested in animal welfare issues may complete the registration form to receive e-mail notification of the latest animal welfare updates.
Animal Welfare contacts:
Telephone: 03 9217 4200
Facsimile: 03 9217 4416