Animal Welfare Action Plan
Victoria's first Animal Welfare Action Plan
The Victorian Government has released Victoria's first-ever Animal Welfare Action Plan.
Download the action plan here: Animal Welfare Action Plan
The action plan, Improving the Welfare of Animals in Victoria, aims for Victoria to continue to improve animal welfare and to be well respected globally for its animal welfare practices.
The action plan covers all animals, including pets, livestock, native animals, aquatic animals, animals used for research and teaching, and in tourism and recreation.
Science tells us that animals are sentient – they experience feelings and emotions such as pleasure, comfort, fear and pain.
The Animal Welfare Action Plan embodies community expectations for animal welfare – that animals deserve to be treated with care and respect.
The action plan was developed in collaboration with industry and the Victorian community. It sets four priority areas:
- a policy and legal framework that safeguards and improves animal welfare in Victoria
- collaboration that advances and promotes investment in animal welfare
- education and communication that improves attitudes, knowledge, skills and compliance
- compliance and enforcement that is efficient and effective.
Watch our video for more information about the Animal Welfare Action Plan!
Consultation on the action plan
The Animal Welfare Action Plan was developed with assistance from the Victorian Government's expert Animal Welfare Advisory Committee.
It reflects extensive public and stakeholder feedback received on the draft action plan released in 2016.
More than 20 meetings and workshops with key stakeholders were held, and more than 600 online and written submissions received.
In response to what we heard:
- there is greater clarity on the goals and actions of the action plan
- the legislative review process is more clearly described
- an additional action area focusing on education has been introduced to reflect its importance
- a collaborative group will be formed comprising government and animal sector representatives to support and lead implementation of action plan initiatives.
Stay updated on the Victorian Government's work to improve animal welfare in Victoria. Join our mailing list by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Animal Welfare contacts: