Climate change and the dairy industry
Extensive research is being undertaken by a number of organisations into climate change and its effects upon the dairy industry.
- Victorian Climate Change Adaptation Program (VCCAP) aims to increase the knowledge and capabilities of government, the agriculture sector and farming businesses to adapt to climate change.
As the major greenhouse gases from dairy farms are methane and nitrous oxide, on-farm research is strongly focused on ways to reduce these gases. More information is available at Dairy Australia website, and specific programs with Dairy Australia investment include:
- The Reducing Emissions from Ruminant Livestock Program (RELRP) is coordinated by Meat and Livestock Australia focuses on methane reduction for all grazing industries, including dairy.
- The Nitrous Oxide Research Program (NORP) is coordinated by the Grain Research and Development Corporation focuses on reducing nitrous oxide from both cropping and grazing industries.
- Mitigation and Adaptation in the Australian Dairy Industry (MAADI) is coordinated by Dairy Australia and focuses on demonstrating currently available 'farm ready' adaptation options, as well as developing and testing the next generation of options that are nearly farm ready.
- Soil Carbon Research Program (SCARP) is a $20m program managed by CSIRO to investigate soil carbon and soil carbon sequestration in Australia.
- DEDJTR's Greenhouse in Agriculture project is investigating ways to reduce methane emissions from ruminant livestock
Does DEDJTR have any associated programs to help me adjust my dairy farm to climate change?
- Project 3030 aims to increase profitability of dairy farms by 30% by increasing home grown feed by 30%. Trials are being conducted to investigate a range of pasture and cereal crops.
- Adaptive Forage Planning provides dairy farmers with the ability to manage risk and make informed decisions in regard to both their on farm forage and bought in fodder supply in a changing and variable climate
- Profitable Farming Systems (Feeding Pastures For Profits) program provides farmers with a clear understanding of the key drivers of profit for their business and help them to better manage risks.
- Farm Water Solutions project assists farmers to improve on-farm water security and adjust to a future with reduced water availability.
- Helping Farmers Secure their Water Future works closely with groups and individual irrigated dairy farmers to improve their knowledge and understanding of the water reforms and improve irrigation management practices to increase water use efficiency.
- Planning for Climate Change – Farm Service Victoria Climate Change project will improve farm business capability to manage climate change and seasonal risk, and equip them to meet the challenges associated with reducing greenhouse gas emissions.