Energy in dairy
Sometimes dairy farm energy efficiency is overlooked as energy costs are small relative to other business costs. However, with rising electricity prices and a price on carbon introduced by the federal government, you may want to start considering your options. This page is a great place to start!
Energy efficiency in the dairy shed
There are a range of technologies and strategies available to improve energy efficiency (in the form of electricity and fuel) and save you money on the dairy farm.
The following series of fact sheets provide examples of improving energy efficiency in the dairy shed:
- Energy efficiency in the dairy industry: overview
- Solar panel systems for the dairy shed; a comparison of 5kW and 30kW system
- Solar hot water systems for dairy sheds
- Thermal heat recovery system for the dairy shed
- LPG water heating in the dairy shed: is this an option for your shed's heating requirements?
- Variable speed drives in the dairy shed: for oil vane and blower vacuum pumps
The detailed report, Economic analysis of technologies to reduce dairy energy consumption, describes the benefits and costs of the technologies in the fact sheets above. The assumptions of the hypothetical case study farm and how the technologies can improve energy efficiency on this farm are reported.
Solar hot water
Solar hot water for the dairy? A comparison of solar hot water services and the considerations for their installation.
Energy Saver Incentive
The Victorian Government's Energy Saver Incentive is making energy efficiency more affordable at home and work by offering discounts and special offers on selected energy saving products and appliances from participating businesses.
There are a range of businesses that can offer you products and services under the scheme. These businesses include your energy retailer, local sustainability companies, your local appliance store, plumbers, builders and other tradespeople. Only participating businesses in the Energy Saver Incentive can provide you with discounts and special offers through this scheme.
Learn more about products that are eligible for discounts and special offers to Victorian businesses and households under the Energy Saver Incentive.
- Emissions in dairy
- Cow Time: Reduce dairy energy consumption in the dairy shed by completing the Dairy Energy Monitor.
- Dairying for Tomorrow: Where you can complete the Interactive Dairy Self Assessment Tool and access the Dairy Greenhouse Gas Abatement (DGAS) Calculator to calculate on-farm emissions and the impact of adopting different abatement strategies.
- Low Carbon Australia: Finance solutions and advice to encourage action on energy efficiency and cost effective carbon reductions.
- Switch On - Take Charge of Your Power Bill: An independent source of information packed with easy-to-follow tips and tools to help you take charge of your power bills and keep you informed about changes and improvements to Victoria's energy system.