Victorian Emergency Animal Welfare Plan
The Victorian Emergency Animal Welfare Plan has recently been reviewed and updated to ensure it provides a strong framework for responding to animal welfare emergency needs in Victoria.
The Victorian Emergency Animal Welfare Plan (Revision 2) (the plan) has been developed to provide the Victorian community and emergency services with a plan that:
- contributes to enhanced public safety and community resilience,
- ensures animals and animal welfare is better considered before during and immediately after emergencies, and
- applies to all hazards across the state, in line with new emergency management framework for Victoria.
The plan integrates existing, everyday legislative requirements for animal welfare with the state's formal emergency management arrangements, describing:
- the planning requirements for animal welfare support services, including government agencies and non-government organisations, in emergency preparedness, response, relief and recovery,
- the roles and responsibilities of agencies, organisations and owners and carers that have a role in planning for and providing emergency animal welfare support services, and
- operating arrangements during an emergency between animal welfare agencies and organisations, emergency service agencies and animal owners and carers.
The plan is a joint responsibility of the department and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP).
Under the plan, the department is responsible for coordination of activities relating to all animals other than wildlife, DELWP is responsible for coordination of activities relating to wildlife.
The plan was revised by the department, as primary support agency in emergency animal welfare, and a broad range of stakeholders. This includes significant contributions from the following agencies and organisations:
- Emergency Management Victoria
- Victorian State Emergency Service
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Australian Veterinary Association, Victorian Division
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Victorian Branch
- Victorian Farmers Federation
- Lort Smith Veterinary Hospital
- Municipal Association of Victoria.
- Municipal councils from metropolitan and regional areas
The contact number for Victorian emergency animal welfare concerns or for more information is 136 186.
- Victorian Animal Emergency Welfare Plan (PDF - 2.3 MB)
- Victorian Animal Emergency Welfare Plan (WORD - 62.7 KB)