Information on 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products
Pest animal bait products containing 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) or PAPP (4-aminopropiophenone) can be used in Victoria to control certain pest animals, like foxes or wild dogs.
To use 1080 or PAPP a person must:
- have completed recognised training (or be directly supervised by a trained and licensed person
- have a licence to use the product
- obtain the product from an accredited supplier
- use the product according to the Directions for the use of 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products in Victoria
- comply with the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Act 1994 (Cth), the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992 (Vic), the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic) and associated regulations.
For more information and assistance, please contact the Customer Service Centre on 136 186.
1080 User Training Course
All users of 1080 and PAPP bait products must complete the 2227Vic Course in Minimising Risks in the Use of 1080 Pest Animal Bait Products for Vertebrate Pest Control ('1080 User Course'). The only exception is if a person is applying baits under the direct and immediate supervision of a person who holds an Agricultural Chemical User Permit endorsed for 1080 and PAPP use.
The 1080 user course trains participants in the safe, legal and effective use of 1080 pest animal bait products including how to abide by the Direction for the use of 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products in Victoria.
Other course providers can be found on the Australian Government's training website.
Licence and permit requirements
All users of 1080 or PAPP must have a relevant permit or licence to legally use these products.
Farmers, landholders and other non-commercial applicators must have an 'Agricultural Chemical User Permit' (ACUP) endorsed for 1080 and PAPP use. This permit is issued under the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992. Apply for an ACUP through Agriculture Victoria.
Persons without an ACUP endorsed for 1080 and PAPP can use baits under the direct and immediate supervision of a holder of a 1080 and PAPP ACUP.
Commercial (fee for service) bait applicators must have a Commercial Operator Licence (COL) endorsed for vermin (pest animal) control, or be working under such a licence. This permit is issued under the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992. Apply for a COL through Agriculture Victoria.
Holders of a Pest Control Licence endorsed for pest animals may also use 1080 and PAPP. Pest control licences are issued by the Department of Health and Human Services.
Aerial applicators must have a Pilot Chemical Rating Licence.
Directions for the Use of 1080 and PAPP Pest Animal Bait Products in Victoria
As a condition of permit or licence, users of 1080 and PAPP must comply with the Direction for the use of 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products in Victoria. It is an offence under the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992 not to comply with the Direction for the use of 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products in Victoria.
The Directions include detailed requirements about:
- pre-use risk assessment
- purchasing, transport and storage
- notification to neighbours and signage
- reducing potential harm to non-target animals and incident reporting about non-target animals
- distance restrictions
- laying of 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products
- disposal of 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products, 1080 capsules and carcasses and disposal of containers
- use of equipment
- safety directions and occupational health and safety
- record keeping.
Where can I purchase 1080 and PAPP bait products in Victoria?
1080 bait products are available from retailers who have Agsafe 1080 premises accreditation.
PAPP bait products may also be available from accredited retailers. You can contact the only current manufacturer PAPP products, Animal Control Technologies for further information about the supply of PAPP products.
Perishable 1080 bait products can be purchased from licensed perishable bait manufacturers. A list of authorised perishable 1080 bait manufacturers can be found on the Department of Health and Human Services website.
Further Information and FAQs
Please refer to the below list of frequently asked questions for further information regarding Victoria's 1080 and PAPP bait system.
Further information is also available from the Customer Service Centre on 136 186.