Irrigation is the artificial application of water to land for the purpose of agricultural production. Effective irrigation will influence the entire growth process from seedbed preparation, germination, root growth, nutrient utilisation, plant growth and regrowth, yield and quality.
The key to maximising irrigation efforts is uniformity. The producer has a lot of control over how much water to supply and when to apply it but the irrigation system determines uniformity. Deciding which irrigation systems is best for your operation requires a knowledge of equipment, system design, plant species, growth stage, root structure, soil composition, and land formation. Irrigation systems should encourage plant growth while minimising salt imbalances, leaf burns, soil erosion, and water loss. Losses of water will occur due to evaporation, wind drift, run-off and water (and nutrients) sinking deep below the root zone.
Proper irrigation management takes careful consideration and vigilant observation.
- About Irrigation
- Automatic Irrigation
- Blue-green algae and irrigation water
- Border Check Irrigation Design
- Centre Pivot and Lateral Move Systems
- Centre Pivots and Rural Water Authorities
- Centre Pivot Wheel Rutting
- Centre Pivot System Capacity
- Centre Pivot Performance Check
- Centre Pivots – Capital and Operating Cost Trade-off
- Choosing an orchard irrigation system
- Choosing the right Soil Moisture Monitoring Device
- Construction of an Evaporation Pan for Irrigation Scheduling
- Estimating Vegetable Crop Water use with Moisture-Accounting Method
- From Border Check to Sprinkler
- Gypsum Blocks for Measuring the Dryness of Soil
- How to use Tensiometers
- Irrigation of lucerne for hay
- Irrigating Vegetable Crops with Water High in Soluble Salts
- Irrigation Scheduling for Regulated Deficit Irrigation (RDI)
- Irrigation: Potatoes
- Minisprinkler microspray irrigation for orchards
- Trickle irrigation: the water needs of young peach trees
- Why Water Fruit Trees?
- Sub-surface Drip Irrigation Systems
- Pipe and Riser Irrigation Systems