What if it doesn't rain soon?
- Audit and map your remaining water supplies
- Recalculate your water needs
- Check water quality requirements
- Be judicious in decreasing your current water use
- Check and recheck your figures
- Predict likely losses of water
- Reconcile the supply and demand figures and estimate a "crunch time"
- Work to delay the crunch time
- Chase options to reduce water loss
- Invest in ways of improving the efficiency of use of your water
- Protect your water supply from damage (prevent the inflow of sediment, organic matter or ash; keep stock out of storage's, avoid salt concentration)
- Allocate water to stock in safe and stable areas
- Reuse water wherever possible
- Monitor, observe, review and adjust
- Plan to manage any potential capture from rain that does fall
- Take one step at a time. Look for opportunities. But, be very wary of "magic bullets"
- Take the opportunity – when the dry eases – to use your accumulated knowledge to work with other knowledgeable people to build a water plan for the property