Celebrating achievements of the food and fibre industry is a really important way to get the message out there that agriculture is a fun, exciting and rewarding career. There are many great award and bursary programs that aim to give you a little helping hand in bringing your next big idea to life!
Imagine the great profile you could bring to the food and fibre industry if named the young farmer of the year?
What about taking that international study tour to expand your agriculture knowledge overseas?
Don't be shy! Throw your hat in the ring – you are the next generation of rural and industry leaders!
Young Farmer Award Programs
- Young Farmer of the Year Award (National)
The Australian Farmer of the Year Awards celebrate the highly professional, innovative and sustainable approach of our farmers, showcasing their passion and raising the profile of the important role they play in Australia. The Awards are designed to promote a positive image of Australian farmers, inspire and encourage career choices and investment interest in Australian agriculture.
- Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC) Rural Women's Award (Victorian and National)
The Rural Women's Award recognises the contribution Victorian women make to primary industry. Finalists are selected based on demonstration of their commitment to the future sustainability of primary industries, their potential to achieve and deliver benefits to their industry, and how they provide leadership and share their skills and knowledge with their communities.
- Young Farmer Challenge (across States facilitated by the Royal Agricultural Societies)
The Young Farmer Challenge is all about testing your agriculture and team work skills! Teams of enthusiastic young farmers battle it out in activities such as wood chopping and sheep penning. The winners then go onto compete with other States to be named the Young Farmer Challenge winners.
- The Rural Finance Innovation Award (Victorian)
The Rural Finance Innovation Award contributes to this by providing seed funding in the form of a grant of $1,000. The award seeks to encourage and support the next generation of farmers to promote new ideas and innovation to improve productivity and farm performance, thereby developing the resilience of agriculture and the economic viability of rural and regional communities in Victoria.
- Victorian Agricultural Shows Rural Ambassador Awards
The Rural Ambassador Award identifies and rewards passionate, skilled young people living, or involved with, rural environments by providing them with a forum to express their views through education and experience.
- Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria Emerging Leaders in Victorian Agriculture The awards recognise people under 40 years of age who have demonstrated leadership qualities and make a contribution in their profession, or to the wider industry and community. Award recipients will receive up to $10,000 to put towards the development of their careers, and the invaluable opportunity to network with fellow industry leaders through RASV's calendar of events. The awards are a unique opportunity for employers, colleagues and friends to nominate a young person they believe deserves recognition and opportunities to develop their career.
- Australian Institute of Agriculture Science and Technology Young Professionals in Agriculture Award (National)
The Institute recognises outstanding achievements by giving awards to Members who, in the opinion of the Board, have made outstanding, specific contributions to the advancement of Agriculture.
- ABARES Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
The Science Awards recognise big ideas from young rural innovators that contribute to the success of Australia's agriculture sector.
- Nuffield Australia Farming Scholarships
Nuffield Australia awards Scholarships each year to farmers in Australia. The objective is to increase practical farming knowledge and management skills and techniques generally. These scholarships give Australian citizens the opportunity to study farming practices in New Zealand, Europe, Asia and the Americas and those countries best suited to the Scholar. They will also promote a closer understanding between farmers in the countries visited.
Agri-Business / Rural Business Awards
- Australian Small Business Champions Awards (Young Small Business Champion Entrepreneur and the Agribusiness Award Category) (National)
The Australian Small Business Champion Awards is a prestigious and comprehensive program that supports and recognises small businesses across Australia.
- Champions of the Bush Sprit of Entrepreneurship Award (Victorian)
This Award is open to Regional Entrepreneurs whose organisations have less than 100 total effective full time (EFT) employees and which have demonstrated real innovation and entrepreneurship in their operations and/or products in a regional community.