Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Management of timber and timber resources
- Review silvicultural guidelines and standards.
- Manage pre-2004 backlog regeneration within the Working Forest Area.
Management of Allocation Orders
- Oversight, review or amendment to Allocation Orders.
- Specify terms and conditions in Allocation Orders.
Management of the legislated agreement with Australian Paper
- Coordinate and facilitate the agreement with Australian Paper.
Agreements with VicForests
- Negotiate and adhere to agreements or arrangements with VicForests, for example those relating to fire prevention and suppression.
Accountability and reporting
- Development of and responsibility for forest industries policy.
Support the Minister for Agriculture (as relevant Minister) to fulfil her duties relating to VicForests
- Monitor and advise on VicForests' compliance with corporate governance requirements in conjunction with the Department of Treasury and Finance, such as corporate planning and annual reporting.
- Monitor and advise on VicForests' compliance with its establishing Order in Council 2003 (as amended) and any directions under the State Owned Enterprises Act 1992.
- Monitor and advise on VicForests' functions, operations and industry issues.
- Facilitate the appointment or reappointment of VicForests Board Directors by Governor-in-Council in consultation with the Department of Treasury and Finance.
- Maintain public safety by monitoring zones and enforcing offences in timber harvesting safety zones.
- Reconcile the gross area of the coupes harvested by VicForests with the areas allocated to it.
- Audit VicForests to ensure VicForests' process for estimating sustainable harvest levels from public native forests in Victoria complies with the sustainable forest management framework.
The Department of Environment, Land Water and Planning's Timber Harvesting Compliance Unit is responsible for delivering environmental regulatory and compliance services to support the management of timber harvesting conducted on public land. These include: developing and maintaining environmental standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines to inform the use of public land for timber harvesting; assessing and monitoring compliance of commercial timber harvesting operations through audits and conducting investigations of alleged non-compliance; and managing referrals of new threatened species records associated with timber harvesting.