Moving grapevine planting material
Biosecurity obligations for nurseries and grape growers
Grape phylloxera is a devastating pest of grapevines which helped to wipe out grape growing in the Geelong and central Victorian regions in the late 19th century. The pest is still present in parts of Victoria, but is largely contained through phylloxera management zones.
Grapevine nursery material infested with phylloxera is a high-risk pathway for the spread of phylloxera. Nurseries and grape growers (commercial and hobby) need to be aware of the phylloxera management zones and comply with regulations concerning the movement of grapevine planting material.
Grapevine planting material includes cuttings, rootlings and potted vines.
Phylloxera management zones are shown on the map.
Observe these procedures:
- Grapevine planting material cannot be moved from a Phylloxera Infested Zone (PIZ).
- Nurseries and growers in a Phylloxera Exclusion Zone (PEZ) can get planting material from within or another PEZ without restriction.
- Nurseries and growers in a PEZ can get cuttings and rootlings (but not potted vines) from a Phylloxera Risk Zone (PRZ) provided the material has been treated in accordance with the regulations and moved under permit from the department.
- For nurseries and growers in a PRZ there are no restrictions on receiving planting material from a PEZ or PRZ. However, potted vines cannot be moved back into a PEZ and cuttings and rootlings can only be moved to a PEZ if the material has been treated in accordance with the regulations and moved under permit from the department.
- For nurseries and growers in a PIZ there are no restrictions on getting planting material from a PEZ, PRZ or within the specific PIZ. However, vines sold in a PIZ cannot be moved out of the PIZ.
- It is preferable for all nurseries and grape growers to obtain planting material from a PEZ.
- In a PRZ or PIZ it is preferable not to obtain planting material within those zones due to the risk of phylloxera being present on the material.
Before moving grapevine planting material into a PEZ, contact a Plant Standards Officer - phone 136 186 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.