Trellis materials and irrigation pipes
When a vineyard is removed, the trellis materials can often be used elsewhere for other vineyards or for fencing. Used irrigation pipes may also be transported to other properties. Vineyard operators need to ensure compliance with grape phylloxera management zone regulations whenever trellis materials or irrigation pipes are removed.
All used vineyard trellis materials and irrigation pipes are considered potential hosts or vectors of phylloxera. Phylloxera can be present in vineyard soil, so any soil remaining on posts or pipes or picked up during vineyard removal operations (e.g. in bundles of wire) has the potential to spread phylloxera. Also, roots may grow into cracks or crevices in vineyard posts and while the roots remain alive phylloxera can survive.
Therefore, any trellis materials or irrigation pipes leaving a Phylloxera Infested Zone (PIZ) or entering a Phylloxera Exclusion Zone (PEZ) or Control Area (see map) need to be cleaned and disinfested, and accompanied by the necessary documents (Plant Health Certificate, Plant Health Declaration and/or permit).
Whilst the accompanying procedures are required for the management of grape phylloxera, they are also desirable for general vineyard hygiene. Other pests and diseases may also be present in cracks on wooden posts, in cordon material still attached to trellis wires, or in crevices of grapevine guards.
Observe these procedures:
- Trellis posts and irrigation pipes must be removed from the ground at least 14 days prior to heat treatment.
- All posts (wooden, steel, plastic, concrete) and pipes must be brushed or washed free of all soil.
- All posts and pipes must be inspected by a DEPI Plant Standards Officer for freedom from soil if leaving a PIZ or entering a PEZ or Control Area.
- Transport vehicles to be cleaned prior to leaving a PIZ or entering a PEZ or Control Area (tray/trailer to be cleaned free of soil).
- Trellis materials and irrigation pipes must be treated with dry heat at 45°C for 75 minutes or 40°C for 120 minutes, with data logger printout as evidence.
- Plant health certification needs to be obtained from a Plant Standards Officer for treated trellis materials and pipes (cleaned and heat treated) leaving a PIZ or entering a PEZ or Control Area.
Before removing any trellis materials from vineyards and transporting them out of a PIZ or into a PEZ or Control Area, contact a Plant Standards Officer - phone 136 186 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.