The Technology Commercialisation Branch (TCB) of is part of the Department of Environment and Primary Industries’ Office of Strategic Partnerships (OPS).
Our team comprises of an experienced group of professionals with skills in intellectual property (IP) management, technology marketing and commercialisation, legal counsel and contract risk management.
We operate in association with Agriculture Victoria Services Pty Ltd (AVS), a separate legal entity wholly owned by the Victorian Government. AVS provides a commercial interface between DEPI and the private sector through which the IP rights to innovations created by the department’s research divisions are registered and contractually transferred.
Where industry adoption will be greater and more rapid, the outputs of DEPI research and development are directed and delivered through a commercialisation route, rather than by public dissemination.
IP protection is achieved through a number of IP registration mechanisms, primarily patents and plant breeder's rights.
IP commercialisation is achieved through a range of technology evaluation, development and adoption models, the most common being IP licence agreements, or less commonly, via IP sale and assignment or the formation of technology spin-off companies or joint ventures.
Our primary purpose is to enable DEPI to develop, protect and commercialise technology created through biosciences and future farming research, ensuring impact is maximised to the benefit of Victoria.
This is increasingly being achieved by providing IP rights to suitable private sector partners or ventures capable of further evaluating, developing and globally-delivering novel, DEPI-created technologies for the benefit of Australian primary producers.
In addition to enabling AVS to deliver core IP services to the branch, we’re also responsible for:
- Supporting the department’s research divisions in:
- the creation and safeguarding of technology innovations (from early IP identification and through to route-to-impact assessment);
- the conduct of due diligence in selecting and evaluating suitable commercial research and development partners;
- the governance or management of major, public-private research and development collaborations.
- Supporting AVS in providing value-adding services and investment to enhance innovation and capabilities at DEPI.
- Assisting in the administration of the department’s Agriculture Productivity Group’s strategy and risk governance frameworks for national research, development and extension coordination, IP management, private sector partnering and contract management.
For more information about Agriculture Victoria Services PTY LTD (ACN 006 598 198) contact:
+ 61 (3) 9217 4125
475 Mickleham Road