The BetterBeef Network has been established for Victorian beef producers. The state wide network provides opportunities for beef producers to access the latest beef research messages and participate in courses that increase skills and knowledge.
The focus of the network is on increasing the profitability and sustainability of beef enterprises. Meat and Livestock Australia's More Beef from Pastures program is delivered in collaboration with the BetterBeef Network.
What we do
With a focus in increasing the sustainable profitability of beef enterprises, BetterBeef provides Victorian beef producers with access to activities including:
- industry awareness events such as field days, paddock walks and an annual state wide conference,
- phone seminars, newsflash emails, newsletters and electronic extension projects,
- accredited training and other courses that increase participant skills and knowledge,
- BetterBeef groups and smaller coaching/mentoring groups, and
- involvement with MLA Producer Demonstration Site (PDS) projects
How we do it
BetterBeef Groups conduct yearly planning sessions to agree on the topics that are addressed over the approaching 12 months. The group coordinator is responsible for the delivery of the annual plan. Technical specialists and guest speakers may be utilised at the discretion of the group participants. Topics of delivery within a BetterBeef group could include:
- Pasture growth
- Pasture utilisation
- Increasing beef production and maximising herd fertility
- Business management
- Benchmarking - financial or production
- Genetic improvement
- Meeting market specifications
- Marketing and risk management
- Animal health.
Group coordinators develop and deliver effective skill and knowledge development activities, communicate research and development information, challenge producers to trial new technologies and review and report the progress of their groups.
For more information on becoming a group member, please contact :
Project Leader BetterBeef Network
574 Main St, Bairnsdale, VIC 3875
Phone: 03 5152 0496
Mobile: 0457 609 140
Project Officer BetterBeef Agriculture Productivity
124 Chiltern Valley Road, Rutherglen, VIC 3685
Phone: 02 6030 4521
Mobile: 0407 865 341
Sign up for a BeefCheque course, Beef Marketing Diploma or other training course in beef cattle breeding, nutrition and management. Courses are held around Victoria.
Events and activities
Information on current field days, workshops, phone seminars, beef schools and conferences around the state.
The history of BetterBeef
Find out more about the collaboration and history of the BetterBeef Network.