National Livestock Identification System Cattle
The National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) is Australia's system for identifying and tracking beef and dairy cattle. The Victorian Government and cattle industry organisations have agreed to work together to fully implement the NLIS so that consumers in Australia and overseas can have confidence in our beef and dairy products.
The NLIS will enable cattle to be reliably identified and tracked from their property of birth to slaughter, protecting the reputation of Victoria's cattle industry as a supplier of 'clean' wholesome beef and dairy products and providing a competitive advantage in domestic and export markets.
Ordering NLIS cattle tags
To order NLIS cattle tags or to view the current list of contracted manufacturers and their tag prices visit our online ordering service or use the following forms:
- Application for cattle NLIS breeder and post-breeder tags (PDF - 162.7 KB)
- Application for cattle NLIS breeder and post-breeder tags (WORD - 221.4 KB)
Beef and dairy producers who order NLIS (Cattle) tags online receive a 10 cent per tag discount. This discount does not apply to orders placed by telephone or by paper application.
- Benefits of NLIS on Dairy Farms
- Cattle Identification Legislation
- Lifetime Traceability
- NLIS and Carcase Feedback
- NLIS requirements on agisted and/or leased land
- On-Farm Benefits
- Property to Property Cattle Movements – A producer guide to NLIS requirements
- Protecting Victoria's Beef and Dairy Industries
- Walk In - Walk Out Property Sales
- NLIS Requirements When Leasing Cattle or 'Cow Parking'
- Selecting the correct NLIS cattle tag applicator
Requirements for live export
- NLIS requirements for cattle destined for live export - Fact Sheet (PDF - 222.1 KB)
- NLIS requirements for cattle destined for live export - Fact Sheet (WORD - 172.4 KB)
- NLIS Requirements for Live Cattle Exports (Information Note)
How do I?
- Apply for a Property Identification Code (PIC)
- Apply for Vendor Declarations
- Order Livestock Tags Online
- Transfer Cattle