The following pages can assist in answering questions in relation food safety and animal health and the current outbreak of swine influenza.
Swine Flu information
Victoria has confirmed cases of Human Swine Flu.
- We all have a role to play in looking after our health.
- Good hygiene is essential. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and wash your hands regularly.
- Visit www.health.vic.gov.au
- Call the Swine Influenza Hotline Tel. 180 2007 for general information for the public.
- Call Nurse-on-Call Tel. 1300 60 60 24 if you have flu like symptoms and for expert health information and advice (24 hours, 7 days).
For human health information visit the following:
World Health Organisation
Is it safe to eat Australian pork and pork products?
Yes. There is no influenza risk from eating pork or pork products in Australia.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) advises that swine influenza has not been shown to be transmissible to people through eating properly handled and prepared pork (pig meat) or other products derived from pigs.
If you have questions about animal health in pigs and swine influenza visit - Animal Health - Swine Influenza update