Wild Dog Management Program evaluation
Wild dogs are a significant threat to Victoria's livestock industry, at an estimated cost of $13–18 million per year. This constitutes a significant impact on productivity, animal welfare and social value for the rural community in Victoria. The management of wild dogs has been, and continues to be a contentious issue in Victoria.
In 2015, the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR), in collaboration with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), commissioned an independent consultant to undertake an evaluation of the Wild Dog Control Program, including a review of governance arrangements. The evaluation aimed to ensure that Victoria continued to use the right mix of tools, strategies and technologies for the future health of the Program.
The evaluation comprised two parts:
Part 1: A review of the Wild Dog Control Advisory Committee and the governance of the implementation of the Action Plan for Managing Wild Dogs in Victoria 2014–2019; and
Part 2: A review of the Victorian Wild Dog Management Program and options for future approaches.
- The key findings are:
- The Victorian Government's approach to the governance of the wild dog should continue, recognising that wild dog control is complex and without a simple solution; all landowners and managers need to work together.
- Establish a new advisory body comprising a mix of both landholder and non-landholder representatives to assist DEDJTR better understand grass-roots issues in policy design and to assist DELWP link operations to strategic priorities and community expectations.
- Practice continuous improvement in wild dog management through enhanced reporting and evaluation procedures.
- Improve operational and performance outcomes by employing new technologies and revising protocols for dealing with dog attacks.
- Use of innovation, research, development, and extension to close knowledge gaps could further streamline the program.
More information is contained in the executive summaries:
- Executive Summary - Review of the Role of the Wild Dog Control Advisory Committee and the Governance Arrangements for Implementation of the Action Plan for Managing Wild Dogs in Victoria 2014–2019 (PDF - 586.1 KB) | (WORD - 766.1 KB)
- Executive Summary - Review of the Victorian Wild Dog Management Program and Recommendations for Future Approaches (PDF - 710.4 KB) | (WORD - 771.4 KB)
The full reports are available below:
- Report 1 - Review of the Role of the Wild Dog Control Advisory Committee and the Governance Arrangements for Implementation of the Action Plan for Managing Wild Dogs in Victoria 2014–2019 (PDF - 2.1 MB) | (WORD - 1.0 MB)