State prohibited weeds
What are State prohibited weeds?
State prohibited weeds are the highest category of declared noxious weeds in Victoria. By definition they are either not yet in Victoria, or are here in small numbers, where their eradication is still possible. Under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 (CaLP Act), it is an offence to buy, sell, display or transport a State prohibited weed within Victoria. Agriculture Victoria aims to prevent the introduction of State prohibited weeds into Victoria and to detect and eradicate any infestations before they become widespread.
By preventing State prohibited weeds from becoming widespread, Victorians can save millions of dollars each year in lost agricultural production and control costs. The potential harmful impact of these species to the environment, our social amenity and in some cases human health, can also be reduced. Agriculture Victoria is responsible for these species on all land in Victoria.
How to report state prohibited weeds
The community, industry, government agencies and universities are important partners in achieving eradication. By looking out for and reporting State prohibited weeds, you can help protect Victoria from these high risk invasive plants.
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
When making a report remember to include the following details to help Agriculture Victoria officers to follow up on your report as quickly as possible:
- Your name
- Your contact phone number
- Your email address
- The name and/or a brief description of the plant you wish to report
- The number of plants you have found or spotted
- Location where the plant was found or spotted (specific references to streets or landmarks are helpful)
2. Call 136 186
Where might I find a State prohibited weed?
Places you may find a State prohibited weed include:
- ponds, dams, rivers, creeks and wetlands
- private gardens including home gardens, restaurants and cafes
- rare plant collections
- public parks and gardens
- agricultural land or farming areas
- markets, garage sales, in the media and online
- for sale in nurseries and garden centers
- natural areas
- roadsides, waste places and urban fringes
|Water hyacinth||Salvinia||Horsetails||Alligator weed|
|Hawkweed||Knotweed||Mexican feather grass||Lagarosiphon|
|Mesquite||Camel thorn||Poverty weed||Tangled hypericum|
|Parthenium weed||Perennial ragweed||Karoo and giraffe thorn|