One of the components of fisheries compliance work is education about regulations. The aim is to increase awareness, understanding and acceptance of fisheries regulations, and therefore, in the longer term, to increase compliance.
Education involves a number of activities including:
- Promotion of regulations and where to get detailed information about regulations
- Distribution of around 300,000 copies of the annual Victorian Recreational Fishing Guide through over 900 outlets throughout Victoria
- Provision of Fish Length Rulers and plastic measures (for rock lobster, abalone and spiny freshwater crayfish)
- On-site education by Fisheries Officers on patrol
- Schools education via programs run through the Marine and freshwater discovery centre at Queenscliff
You may also visit our Publications section for information resources.