The Marine and Freshwater Discovery Centre, Queenscliff
Located on the shores of Swan Bay in Queenscliff, the Fisheries Victoria Marine and Freshwater Discovery Centre provides communities with the opportunity to better understand and manage our unique marine resources and environment.
As a part of the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport, and Resources we have close links with current scientific research and resource management practices relating to marine and freshwater environments.
Visitors to the centre experience hands-on interaction with the marine environment at our touch tank and aquariums or by taking part in activities such as rockpool rambles, boat trips, snorkels and mudflat meanders.
Over its 25 year history the Marine & Freshwater Discovery Centre is fortunate to have had the support of hundreds of volunteers.
The main role of the volunteers is to support and participate in the interpretative and educational programs conducted by the Marine & Freshwater Discovery Centre.
Volunteers may assist with any of the following:
- Interpretative assistance – in the Marine & Freshwater Discovery Centre, on rockpools, mudflats, craft activities or boat trips.
- Administrative assistance – greeting visitors, telephone reception, booking activities, shop sales.
- Technical assistance – collecting food for our animals, feeding, maintaining tanks.
As a part of our volunteer crew you will enjoy free admission to the Marine Discovery Centre for you and your immediate family.
Are there any particular requirements?
Volunteers must be over 18 years of age and must be willing and able to give generously their time and talents. It is not essential to have prior knowledge of marine biology, we will train you along the way.
As a Marine and Freshwater Discovery Centre volunteer you must be able to provide an ongoing commitment throughout the year. The minimum support provided by volunteers is 15 days over the course of the year.
Volunteers need to commit to providing:
- At least five days of their time over the summer holiday period.
- At least four days during one of our shorter school holiday programs (April, July or September).
- At least one day per month in the Marine & Freshwater Discovery Centre or assisting with special exhibits and shows throughout the year
Unfortunately we cannot accept short-term volunteers.
What is the application procedure?
Intending volunteers need to register their interest. Please fill out the application form:
Volunteers are requested to pay $75 (or $55 concession) to cover administrative and training costs.
Please contact us if you require any further information.
Marine and Freshwater Discovery Centre
PO Box 114, Queenscliff, 3225
Ph: (03) 5258 3344 Fax: (03) 5258 1435