Domestic animal (microchip) registries
Microchip registries which accept records for cats or dogs microchipped in Victoria must be licensed with the department.
The following registries are licensed to provide domestic animal registry services in Victoria:
|Registry website||Contact number|
|Australasian Animal Registry||02 9704 1450|
|Central Animal Records||03 9706 3187|
|Petsafe Register||02 8850 6800|
|Greyhound Racing Victoria|
(Greyhound microchip registration only)
|03 8329 1139|
|Homesafe ID||1300 537 140|
|Global Micro Animal Registry||02 8338 9063|
Implanters operating in Victoria must register any microchip implanted in a cat, dog or horse along with the required information on one of the above identified registries within two days of implantation.
There are numerous conditions of licence and legislative requirements which licensed registries must abide by, some of these are shown below:
- 24 hour access must be provided for the purpose of reuniting individual animals with owners
- details of microchip and prescribed identifying information must be placed on the registry within 4 days of receipt provided all information is received from the authorised implanter and required fee is paid
- licensed registries must communicate with each other to ascertain animal ownership if details not on their registry
- maintain a separate backup, updated at least monthly, of all records
- owner of animal must be provided with a certificate of identification which includes details of how to change contact information or ownership
- record must be maintained for life of animal or 30 years
- verify microchip numbers to ensure uniqueness.