2018 planning reforms for animal industries
New planning reforms came into operation in September 2018.
On 21 September 2018, new animal industries planning reforms came into effect. These reforms balance:
- industry growth
- environmental protection
- community amenity.
The reforms have been shaped by extensive consultation with:
- rural and regional communities
- peak industry bodies
- animal industries
- local government
Benefits of the reforms
Benefits of the reforms include:
- clearer regulation that recognises and supports the diversity of contemporary animal production systems and anticipated future development
- reduced regulation and greater flexibility for farmers of grazing-based operations to manage business risks and respond to opportunities
- simplified planning requirements for low-risk pig and poultry farming
- greater guidance and training for local government to support assessment and determination of planning applications.
Read more about the planning support program for small-scale pig and poultry producers.
Guidelines for grazing and intensive animal production
Agriculture Victoria has developed guidelines to assist in the interpretation of the land use terms 'grazing animal production' and 'intensive animal production':
- Victorian grazing and intensive animal production guidelines (PDF - 490.8 KB)
- Victorian grazing and intensive animal production guidelines (WORD - 35.5 KB)
Simplified planning permit process for low-density, mobile, outdoor pig and poultry farms
The 2018 planning reforms for animal industries introduce a simplified planning permit process for pig and poultry farms that meet certain criteria.
Pig planning permit guidelines:
- Victorian low-density mobile outdoor pig farm planning permit guidelines (PDF - 661.5 KB)
- Victorian low-density mobile outdoor pig farm planning permit guidelines (WORD - 98.5 KB)
Poultry planning permit guidelines:
- Victorian low density mobile outdoor poultry farm planning permit guidelines (PDF - 592.6 KB)
- Victorian low density mobile outdoor poultry farm planning permit guidelines (WORD - 77.0 KB)
Amendment to the Victorian Code for Broiler Farms
The 2018 planning reforms introduced an amendment to the Victorian Code for Broiler Farms 2009 so the Code will also apply to free-range broiler farms:
- Victorian Code for Broiler Farms (2009) with 2018 amendments (PDF - 4.8 MB)
- Victorian Code for Broiler Farms (2009) with 2018 amendments (WORD - 283.7 KB)
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
- Media release about the launch of the new planning controls
Government response to consultation:
- Victorian Government's response to consultation on the planning reforms (PDF - 421.2 KB)
- Victorian Government's response to consultation on the planning reforms (WORD - 133.0 KB)