Gippsland (Bunyip and Yinnar) bushfires — March 2019

Agriculture Victoria is continuing to support Gippsland landholders impacted by the Bunyip-Tonimbuk and Yinnar South-Budgeree fires in March.

Agriculture recovery services available to fire-affected landholders include on-farm one-on-one consultations by appointment and information resources on a range of post-fire agricultural recovery issues.

The on-farm one-on-one information sessions provide farmers with technical advice about:

  • pasture recovery
  • feed budgeting
  • grazing management
  • stock containment areas
  • weed control
  • erosion
  • managing farm water supplies.

Landholders can register their interest in an on-farm one-on-one consultation by filling in a 'Request for information' form below.

For more information on bushfire recovery, please contact Agriculture Victoria on 136 186.

Download: Gippsland bushfires support programs factsheet (PDF - 160.7 KB)

One-on-one on-farm consultations

To register your interest in a one-on-one on-farm consultation, please download and send us the following form or complete it online.

Online request for information form

Or download:

Completed forms can be sent to your case manager, emailed to or posted to:

Lindsay Hyde
Agriculture Victoria
4 Archer Drive
Mornington 3931


Technical and decision-making support for managing livestock after a bushfire

Agriculture Victoria provides technical and decision-making support services to help farm businesses recover from bushfires.

Agriculture Victoria has technical information and tools on topics such as:

  • stock containment areas
  • assessing sheep after a bushfire
  • assessing cattle after a bushfire
  • horses affected by bushfires
  • agisting livestock affected by a bushfire
  • disposing of carcasses after bushfire

Call the Agriculture Victoria information line on 136 186.

Technical information to ensure the welfare of pets during bushfires

Agriculture Victoria provides practical and decision-making support advice to assist pet owners to manage the welfare of their pets during an emergency.

Agriculture Victoria has technical information and tools on topics such as:

  • planning ahead
  • evacuating pets
  • pets that remain on property
  • after the emergency

Call the Agriculture Victoria information line on 136 186.

Personal Hardship Assistance Program

The program provides financial assistance for eligible Victorians struggling because of an emergency.

This is administered by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

Emergency grants are also available to help community members meet immediate needs, including emergency food, shelter, clothing and personal items.

A case support program is available for people significantly impacted by the fires in:

  • Cardinia Shire
  • Baw Baw Shire
  • Latrobe City
  • Wellington Shire
  • East Gippsland Shire.

Case support workers will work with individuals helping them navigate the various support services available including financial assistance, mental health services, family violence supports, services for repairing and rebuilding damaged properties, and re-establishing livelihoods.

To access the service, contact your local council or call 1800 560 760.

Bushfire recovery support




Livestock water

For emergency livestock water for Bunyip fire-affected properties, please contact your local council.

Cardinia Shire —

Baw Baw Shire —

Water taken from dams for fire suppression

Councils arrange for the replacement of essential water to replace water used by DELWP for fire suppression during emergency response.

Contact your council.

Affected livestock

If you have or know of injured livestock please contact Agriculture Victoria.

Please call Agriculture Victoria on 1800 226 226 or contact your local veterinarian.


For offers of agistment

Agistment of livestock affected by bushfires – agistor or agistee, do you know what to do?

For information, see Agisting livestock affected by a bushfire.

Rebuilding fence assistance

BlazeAid provides assistance with rebuilding fences for all types of livestock from Tuesday 12 March.

For guidelines for fences and control lines after bushfires.

Contact John and Sue Anderson on 0412 382 184 to register.

Updates at or at or email

Learn more at Public land recovery

Hazardous tree information

Information is available at the Forest Fire Management site.

Learn more at Public land recovery

Bushfire financial support




Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS)

RFCS provide free financial counselling to farmers and small related businesses who are in, or at risk of, financial hardship.

Counsellors can provide referrals to other professional services, including accountants, agricultural advisors, education, or counselling.

Counsellors can assist applicants to apply for the Farm Household Allowance and other support.

Call 1800 686 175 (toll free) or call:

Western RFCS: 1300 735 578

Eastern RFCS: 1300 045 747

North East RFCS: 1300 834 775

North West RFCS: 1300 769 489

or visit Assistance measures

Emergency re-establishment assistance payments

Emergency re-establishment assistance is available if your principal place of residence (your home) is uninhabitable for more than seven days because of an emergency.

Eligible households in the local government areas of Baw Baw, Cardinia, Latrobe, South Gippsland and Wellington can also access Emergency Re-establishment Assistance payments of up to $40,700 to assist with clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding (a principal place of residence), and replacing some damaged contents.

Contact your local council or call 1800 560 760

Farm Household Allowance

(Australian Government)^

The Australian Government makes an income support payment available to eligible farmers and their families experiencing financial hardship.

Call 132 316 or visit

Farmer Assistance Hotline (Australian Government)

Information on the Australian Government's support services available to farmers and rural communities.

Call 132 316 or visit

Farm Debt Mediation

The scheme makes it compulsory for banks and other creditors to offer mediation to farmers before commencing debt recovery proceedings on farm mortgages.

Call the Agriculture Victoria Information Line on 136 186 or see Farm debt mediation

^Eligibility criteria and loan amounts have recently changed.

Local services




Bunyip Fire Complex

Cardinia Shire livestock support

Akoonah Park (via Gate 7) in Berwick is open to horses and floats. Best access to the facility is off Princes Hwy into Manuka Road then into Funston Street. Water and toilet facilities are available. Horses must be contained and not left unattended. The owner is responsible for their horses at all times.

Lardner Park in Warragul is also open with stables, pens and paddock space available for horses and small livestock. There are also powered areas with access to toilets and showers for people with tents or caravans. Dogs on leads are welcome.

Call 1300 787 624

or visit the Cardinia Shire website

Personal and family support




Family violence

Emergencies put a lot of additional stress on close relationships and families as they struggle to deal with the stress.

If you, or someone you know, need help there are services you can call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you are in immediate danger, call 000.

For confidential counselling and advice call the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling service on 1800 737 732 (1800 RESPECT).

Mental health and well-being

It is normal for a distressing or frightening event to affect you physically, mentally and emotionally.

There are many services available to assist residents and their families.

Call 1800 560 760 for information on the mental health and well-being services available for people significantly impacted by the fires in Cardinia Shire, Baw Baw Shire, Latrobe City, Wellington Shire and East Gippsland Shire.

Call 1800 560 760

Urgent Concerns

Urgent concerns about your own, or the mental health of others, contact:

Mental Health Services on 1800 808 284 (24 hours).

Lifeline: 13 11 14

MensLine: 1300 789 978

Kid’s Helpline: 1800 55 1800

Nurse on Call: 1300 606 024

Mental Health Services on 1800 808 284 (24 hours).

Lifeline: 13 11 14

MensLine: 1300 789 978

Kid’s Helpline: 1800 55 1800

Nurse on Call: 1300 606 024

Baw Baw Shire

Any residents that require personal support in the first instance should contact Baw Baw Shire Council on 1300 BAW BAW (1300 229 229).

Baw Baw Shire Council on 1300 BAW BAW (1300 229 229)


Counselling delivered by qualified, experienced professionals 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

Phone 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Kids HelpLine

Confidential telephone counselling service for young people aged 5–25 years.

Kids Help Line – 1800 551 800


Counselling and information for families with children (up to 18 years) from 8am to midnight seven days a week.

ParentLine – 132 289

Men’s Line Australia

24–hour counselling and advice for men.

Men’s Line Australia – 1300 789 978


24-hour telephone counselling, information and referral service.

Lifeline – 13 11 14

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue provides information on depression and anxiety.

To access professional counselling services, please contact your GP and seek a referral.

Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636

Page last updated: 26 Aug 2020