Flood and storm financial advice and support

Agriculture Victoria has recovery teams in place to work with producers and industry following the recent storms and floods across Victoria.

An important part of our role in emergencies includes assessing the impacts and damage, this will inform the types of support required both immediately and over the medium to long-term.

Financial support for flood-affected farmers

A support package is available for flood-affected farmers:

  • Primary Producer Recovery Grants: Up to $75,000 grants to cover the cost of recovery  and get businesses up and running again.
    Note: This replaces the $10,000 Primary Producer Flood Clean–Up, Relief Grants announced on 19 October. Producers that have received a Primary Producer Flood Clean–Up Relief Grant of $10,000 can now apply for up to a further $65,000 under the Primary Producer Recovery Grant, bringing the total to $75,000.
  • Rural Landholder Grants: Up to $25,000 grants to cover the costs of disaster impacts for small-scale producers.
  • Primary Producer Concessional Loans: Up to $250,000 to restore or replace damaged equipment and infrastructure, or to cover the short-term business expenses.
  • Primary Producer Transport Subsidies: Up to $15,000 to support the transport of emergency fodder or stock drinking water, and the movement of livestock.
Read more and apply
+ Expand all- Collapse all

Map of Victoria showing local government areas shaded. Includes Alpine Shire, Ararat Rural City Council, Banyule City Council, Baw Baw Shire Council, Benalla Rural City, Boroondara Council, Boroondara Council, Brimbank City Council, Buloke Shire, Campaspe, Central Goldfields, City of Ballarat, City of Greater Bendigo, City of Casey, City of Greater Geelong, City of Greater Shepparton, Colac Otway Shire Council, Corangamite Shire, East Gippsland Shire Council, Falls Creek Resort, Gannawarra Shire, Glenelg Shire, Golden Plains Shire Council, Hepburn Shire, Hindmarsh Shire Council, Horsham Shire,  Hume City Council, Indigo Shire Council, Latrobe City Council, Loddon Shire, Macedon Ranges Shire, Manningham City Council, Mansfield Shire,  Maribyrnong City Council, Maroondah City Council, Melbourne City Council, Mildura Rural City Council, Mitchell Shire Council, Moira Shire, Moonee Valley City, Moorabool Shire Council, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, Mount Alexander Council, Moyne Shire, Murrindindi Shire, Nillumbik Shire Council, Northern Grampians, Pyrenees Shire, Rural City of Wangaratta, Southern Grampians Shire Council, Strathbogie Shire, Surf Coast Shire Council, Swan Hill Rural City Council, Towong Shire Council, Warrnambool City Council, Wellington Shire Council, Whittlesea Council, Wodonga Council, Wyndham City Council, Yarra Ranges Council, Yarriambiack Shire Council Disclaimer: This publication may be of assistance to you but the State of Victoria and its employees do not guarantee that the publication is without flaw of any kind or is wholly appropriate for your particular purposes and therefor disclaims all liability for any error, loss or other consequence which may arise from you relying on any information in this publication.

Ararat Rural City Council

Banyule City Council

Baw Baw Shire Council

Benalla Rural City

Boroondara Council

Brimbank City Council

Buloke Shire


Central Goldfields

City of Ballarat

City of Greater Bendigo

City of Casey

City of Greater Geelong

City of Greater Shepparton

Colac Otway Shire Council

Corangamite Shire

East Gippsland Shire Council

Falls Creek Resort

Gannawarra Shire

Glenelg Shire

Golden Plains Shire Council

Hepburn Shire

Hindmarsh Shire Council

Horsham Shire

Hume City Council

Indigo Shire Council

Latrobe City Council

Loddon Shire

Macedon Ranges Shire

Manningham City Council

Mansfield Shire

Maribyrnong City Council

Maroondah City Council

Melbourne City Council

Mildura Rural City Council

Mitchell Shire Council

Moira Shire

Moonee Valley City

Moorabool Shire Council

Mornington Peninsula Shire Council

Mount Alexander Council

Moyne Shire

Murrindindi Shire

Nillumbik Shire Council

Northern Grampians

Pyrenees Shire

Rural City of Wangaratta

Southern Grampians Shire Council

Strathbogie Shire

Surf Coast Shire Council

Swan Hill Rural City Council

Towong Shire Council

Warrnambool City Council

Wellington Shire Council

Whittlesea Council

Wodonga Council

Wyndham City Council

Yarra Ranges Council

Yarriambiack Shire Council

Disclaimer: This publication may be of assistance to you but the State of Victoria and its employees do not guarantee that the publication is without flaw of any kind or is wholly appropriate for your particular purposes and therefor disclaims all liability for any error, loss or other consequence which may arise from you relying on any information in this publication.

Urgent animal health concerns – injury, loss or disease

Field with pastures in foreground and flooding in background

Anyone with urgent animal welfare issues should contact Agriculture Victoria on 1800 226 226.

For further advice on checking livestock, pets and animals after flood.

Sewage and livestock

Information for farmers who are concerned that their paddocks, pastures or animals have been impacted by sewage contaminated floodwater

  • Animal owners should avoid livestock having any contact with sewage contaminated water or areas where sewage contamination has occurred.
  • Cattle and pigs that come into contact with untreated sewage can develop parasitic infections caused by the human tapeworms Taenia solium and Taenia saginata respectively.
  • The infection of Taenia saginata in cattle is called Cysticercus bovis ('beef measles') and is notifiable in Victoria. Further information on notifiable diseases.

If sewage contamination is suspected on your property notify Agriculture Victoria on 1800 226 226.

Financial assistance and support

Depending on the severity of a flood or storm event, financial assistance may be available to assist primary producers with the cost of clean-up and recovery.

What payments are available to individuals following a disaster?

Support is currently available for the following events:

Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA)

There is a range of financial support that may become available for people (including primary producers) impacted by floods, storms and other disasters. This assistance is provided by the Commonwealth or through theDisaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) that are agreed by state and Commonwealth governments.

DRFA financial assistance for impacted individuals includes

  • Emergency relief payments and
  • Emergency re-establishment payments.
+ Expand all- Collapse all

Emergency relief assistance may be available. A one-off payment is provided to help meet immediate needs, including emergency food, shelter, clothing, medication and accommodation. More information can be found on the DFFH website.

If you have been personally impacted by a flood or storm event contact your local council to discuss your needs and relief supports available.

The emergency re-establishment payment provides assistance to households of limited financial means, whose home is uninhabitable, destroyed or is inaccessible. The payment can cover clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding (a principal place of residence), and replacing some damaged contents.

More detail, including eligibility information is available on the VicEmergency website.

Other Commonwealth support

+ Expand all- Collapse all

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) can provide one-off financial assistance to eligible Australians adversely affected by storms and floods. The rate of AGDRP is $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child.

AGDRP is available for people who have been seriously injured, have lost their homes or whose homes have been directly damaged, whose major assets have been directly damaged or are the immediate family members of a person who has died as a direct result of storms and floods.

The Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) provides income support payments to eligible persons who can demonstrate they have experienced a loss of income as a direct result of storms and floods.

DRA provides fortnightly payments for up to 13 weeks up to the applicable rate of JobSeeker Payment or Youth Allowance, depending on the person's circumstances. DRA is not available to those already receiving another income support payment or pension such as the Age Pension, JobSeeker Payment or Service Pension.

To find out which disaster events are currently eligible for Commonwealth financial assistance go to the Services Australia Natural disaster events website: Active natural disaster events - Natural disaster - Services Australia

Support Services

Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS)

The RFCS provides free financial counselling to farmers and small businesses who are in, or at risk of, financial hardship.

Rural Financial Counselling Service remains available for farmers seeking support and can be contacted on 1300 771 741

Emergency contacts and information

Life threatening emergencies

Always call triple zero if there is a threat to life.

Phone: 000

Vic State Emergency Service (VICSES)

For VICSES flood emergency assistance and to locate your local unit.

Phone: 132 500

Information Hotline: 1800 226 226

Social Media:


Monitor the VicEmergency app, VicEmergency website and hotline for flood warnings and emergency information in Victoria.

Emergency broadcasters

Official emergency AM/FM radio broadcasters for flood events in Victoria.

Technical support

Agriculture Victoria staff can assist farmers with technical support and advice in the following areas:

  • farm recovery after floods
  • grazing and pasture recovery
  • water budgeting and quality
  • soil erosion management
  • land class fencing
  • animal health and nutrition
  • whole farm planning.

For more information, call 1800 226 226.

For information on workshops and events.

To subscribe to our monthly email newsletters produced by our Better Beef and BestWool/BestLamb teams in Victoria.

To subscribe to our weekly regional media newsletters, for:

Advice on how to prepare for a flood and what to do before and after a flood, go to the Agriculture Victoria flood page.

To report flood damage on farm: Call 136 186.

Emergency Animal Disease (EAD) Hotline

If you suspect a pest or disease outbreak or have seen something unusual, contact the EAD hotline on 1800 675 888.

Business support

Farm Business Management and Planning Support

Agriculture Victoria normally delivers technical and decision-making support services to assist farm businesses recover from events such as major floods. Working with our industry partners, the department provides services across industries including beef, sheep, dairy, grains, horticulture and irrigation.

Farmer Assistance Hotline (Aust Govt)

Information on the Australian Government's support services available to farmers and rural communities: Call 132 316

Farm Hub (Aust Govt)

Farm Hub aims to provide farmers with a single portal through which they can access information about assistance and advice to manage hardship.

Visit the FarmHub website.


BlazeAid works alongside families and individuals in rural Australia to help rebuild fences and other structures that have been damaged or destroyed through natural disasters.

Visit the BlazeAid website.

Agriculture Victoria recovery support services

Technical support and advice is available in the following areas:

Grazing and pasture recovery

  • Species options for resowing
  • Soil requirements for sowing new pastures
  • Assessing soil characteristics
  • Interpreting soil test results
  • Predicting pasture recovery over the next year

Water budgeting and quality

  • Assess on-farm storage capacity in dams and tanks
  • Plan pipes and water troughs on your property
  • Identify stock water requirements
  • Develop strategies to protect water supplies from contamination

Soil erosion management

Loss of ground cover can lead to significant soil erosion. Technical advice is available for the following:

  • Mitigating soil erosion
  • Gully, tunnel and sheet erosion
  • Impacts on water quality following a bushfire
  • Building a sediment fence

Land class fencing

Land class fencing allows you to sub-divide your farm considering attributes that impact on productivity and soil degradation, including:

  • Slope, topography and aspect
  • Soil types
  • Climate
  • Surface rock or stone

Animal health and nutrition

  • Feed budgeting, including understanding feed quality and livestock requirements
  • Long-term farm decisions and managing through varying climatic conditions
  • Costs, cashflow to aid short and long-term decisions
  • Stock condition scores and targets
  • Containment areas and restocking
  • Using own land for agistment
  • Using land for hay and silage production or cropping
  • Design and management of shade and shelter for livestock
  • Advice on animal health

Whole farm planning

Whole Farm Planning can help improve farm productivity and sustainability through the following:

  • Matching land use and capability
  • Understand of soils and their management
  • Assessing water needs
  • Management of land degradation
  • Pastures and grazing management
  • Native vegetation in a farming system
  • Risk management
  • Farm design (paddock size, laneways etc)

Flood warnings and rainfall information

Road closures

For latest road closures and traffic hazards see VicRoads – VicTraffic

Flood warnings

For information about flood warnings see the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM)

Rainfall and river height information

You can view forecasts, rainfall and river height information on the BoM website.

Personal and family support

  • Lifeline
    24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services.
    Phone: 131 114
  • Beyondblue 24/7 telephone information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health.
    Phone: 1300 224 636
  • MensLine Australia
    24/7 service for men with relationship and family concerns.
    Phone: 1300 78 99 78
  • Family Relationship Service
    Providing families with access to information about family relationship issues.
    Phone: 1800 050 321
  • Mental health care plan
    A mental health care plan provides Medicare rebates for up to 10 individual or 10 group appointments per year with a psychologist, occupational therapist or social worker. Contact your local GP for a referral.
  • Nurse-on-call
    Expert health information and advice (14 hours, 7 days)
    Phone: 1300 60 60 24
  • Australian Red Cross For people affected by Victorian Severe Weather and Flood.
    Phone: 1800 733 276
  • Emergency Management Victoria Advice for responding in an emergency to COVID-19 confirmed cases or close contacts or Family Violence.
  • GPs and Community Health Care providers
    If you or a loved one need support during difficult times, visit your local doctor (GP).  Community health services also provide a range of primary health care services that could include: acute hospital care, medical centre, home and community care, district nursing, women’s health, allied health services. (podiatry, occupational therapy etc), counselling, pharmacy, referrals.

Other support

Translated flood safety factsheets

The Victorian Department of Health has a few translated resources available to help families prepare for and recover from floods.

Page last updated: 25 Nov 2022