Floods resource directory

Agriculture Victoria is working with producers and industry in response to continuing flood events across Victoria.

An important part of our role in emergencies includes assessing the impacts and damage, as this will inform the types of support required both immediately and over the medium to long-term.

Producers are encouraged to get in contact if they have horticultural, livestock, crops or other agricultural issues resulting from the recent storms and floods.

Telephone: 1800 226 226

Email: recovery@agriculture.vic.gov.au

Website: agriculture.vic.gov.au/floods

Urgent animal health concerns – injury, loss or disease

Anyone with urgent animal welfare issues should contact Agriculture Victoria on 1800 226 226.

Flood Recovery Hotline

Victorians affected by the floods can call the Flood Recovery Hotline 1800 560 760 for help with:

  • a range of clean-up services
  • finding somewhere to stay
  • mental health and wellbeing support.

The recovery hotline is open from 7.30 am to 7.30 pm every day.

Call 1800 560 760 and press 9 for an interpreter

For more information please visit: vic.gov.au/2022-flood-recovery

Financial assistance and support

For the latest information visit

Emergency Relief Payments

Emergency financial assistance is available for community members whose households have been impacted by the current flood emergency in Victoria to help them to meet their relief needs.

If you think you may be eligible for an emergency relief payment, complete the Victorian Emergency relief assistance payment  online application form

Financial support for flood-affected farmers

A support package is available for flood-affected farmers:

  • Primary Producer Recovery Grants: Up to $75,000 grants to cover the cost of recovery  and get businesses up and running again.
    Note: This replaces the $10,000 Primary Producer Flood Clean–Up, Relief Grants announced on 19 October. Producers that have received a Primary Producer Flood Clean–Up Relief Grant of $10,000 can now apply for up to a further $65,000 under the Primary Producer Recovery Grant, bringing the total to $75,000.
  • Rural Landholder Grants: Up to $25,000 grants to cover the costs of disaster impacts for small-scale producers.
  • Primary Producer Concessional Loans: Up to $250,000 to restore or replace damaged equipment and infrastructure, or to cover the short-term business expenses.
  • Primary Producer Transport Subsidies: Up to $15,000 to support the transport of emergency fodder or stock drinking water, and the movement of livestock.
Read more and apply

Re-establishment Assistance

Re-establishment assistance is also available to households of limited financial means, whose principal place of residence (their home) is uninhabitable (damaged or destroyed) or is inaccessible for more than 7 days due to the ongoing Victorian flood emergency.

This financial assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.

The assistance will be available for clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding (a principal place of residence) and replacing some damaged contents. Re-establishment assistance is available to individuals or families who do not have building (home) insurance or contents insurance and is also means tested.

For information and support about the relief services that may be available to you, and to enquire about a re-establishment payment, please call the Flood Recovery Hotline 1800 560 760.

For more information on the Personal Hardship assistance program, visit Personal Hardship Assistance Program DFFH Services.

Power Outages

For what to do in the event of a power outage visit Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and Energy Safe Victoria.

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP)

For the latest information including the list of eligible local government areas visit Victorian Floods, October 2022 - Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment on the Services Australia website.

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment to help you if you’ve been significantly affected by the Victorian Floods in October 2022 and live in one of the eligible local government areas.

The AGDRP is a one-off non-means tested payment of $1000 for eligible adults and $400 for children, who have suffered significant loss, including a severely damaged or destroyed home.

How to apply

1. Submit a claim online using your myGov account. For instructions visit https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/how-to-claim-victorian-floods-october-2022-australian-government-disaster-recovery-payment?context=63461

2. Call Services Australia on 180 22 66.

Disaster Recovery Allowance

For the latest information including eligibility rules and the list of eligible local government areas visit Victorian Floods, October 2022 - Disaster Recovery Allowance on the Services Australia website.

The Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is a short-term payment to help you if the Victorian Floods in October 2022 directly affects your income.

You can get it for a maximum of 13 weeks. It is paid from the date you started losing income as a direct result of the Victorian Floods that started on 6 October 2022.

How to apply

  1. Submit a claim online using your MyGov account. For instructions visit the How to claim page
  2. Call Services Australia on 180 22 66.

Telstra Disaster Relief and Assistance

The Telstra assistance package gives Telstra customers, who have suffered severe damage or loss of their homes and businesses, access to free and interim services to mitigate short-term impacts caused by damaging weather.

If you are a Telstra customer living in one of the areas listed at https://exchange.telstra.com.au/victoria-tasmania-flooding-disaster-assistance-2022/ you may have already received an SMS from Telstra containing a link to request assistance. If you haven’t received an SMS Telstra customers can call the Telstra disaster assistance line on 1800 888 888.

How to apply

If you’re in a disaster-impacted area, call Telstra on 1800 888 888 to speak with its disaster assistance team.

Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS)

The Rural Financial Counselling Service provides free and independent financial counselling to eligible farmers, fishers, foresters and small related enterprises who are experiencing, or at risk of, financial hardship.

They can help with:

  • identifying financial and business options
  • developing an action plan
  • negotiations with lenders
  • applications for Farm Household Allowance-
  • referrals to other professional services including accountants, agricultural advisors, education, or counselling.

How to find a Rural Financial Counsellor in your region

Visit Rural Financial Counselling Service locations on the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) website

Sewage and livestock

Information for farmers that are concerned that their paddocks, pastures or animals have been impacted by sewage contaminated floodwater. Animal owners should avoid livestock having any contact with sewage contaminated water or areas where sewage contamination has occurred.

Cattle and pigs that come into contact with untreated sewage can develop parasitic infections caused by the human tapeworms Taenia solium and Taenia saginata respectively. The infection of Taenia saginata in cattle is called Cysticercus bovis (‘beef measles’) and is notifiable in Victoria.

For further information on notifiable diseases, visit the Notifiable diseases page on the Agriculture Victoria website.

If sewage contamination is suspected on your property notify Agriculture Victoria on 1800 226 226.

Personal and family support

ServiceDescription Contact details
National Centre for Farmer Health Support resources for emergencies, emotional and social wellbeing, farm business support services, information for rural and health professionals, rural support organisations, Victorian Emergency Water Supply Points Map. Call (03) 5551 8533 farmerhealth.org.au


24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Call 131 114 or visit lifeline.org.au


24/7 telephone information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health.

Call 1300 224 636 or visit beyondblue.org.au

MensLine Australia

24/7 service for men with relationship and family concerns.

Call 1300 78 99 78 or visit mensline.org.au

Family Relationship Service

Providing families with access to information about family relationship issues.

Call 1800 050 321 or visit familyrelationships.gov.au

Mental Health Care Plan

A mental health care plan provides Medicare rebates for up to 10 individual or 10 group appointments per year with a psychologist, occupational therapist or social worker.

Contact your local GP for a referral

Health care plan website:

Kids Helpline

Confidential telephone counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25.

Phone: 1800 551 800

Website: kidshelpline.com.au


Counselling and information for families with children up to 18 years. Open 8am to midnight, seven days.

Phone: 132 289

Website: parentline.com.au

GPs and Community Health Care providers

If you or a loved one need support during difficult times, visit your local Doctor (GP).

Community health services also provide a range of primary health care services that could include: acute hospital care, medical centre, home and community care, district nursing, women’s health, allied health services (podiatry, occupational therapy etc.), counselling, pharmacy, referrals.

Contact your local GP

Contact your local Community Health service to confirm their services.


Expert health information and advice (14 hours, 7 days)

Phone: 1300 60 60 24

Australian Red Cross

For people affected by Victorian Severe Weather and Flood.

Phone: 1800 733 276

Website:  redcross.org.au

Rural Aid

Rural Aid offers free, confidential counselling to Rural Aid registered farmers and their family.

Phone: 1300 327 624

Email: contact@ruralaid.org.au

Website: ruralaid.org.au

Catchment Management Authorities

Catchment Management Authorities (CMAs) are responsible for the integrated planning and coordination of land, water and biodiversity management in each catchment and land protection regions.

To see a list of all Victorian Catchment Management Authorities (CMAs) visit Our CMA regions on the Vic Catchment website

CMA nameContact details

Corangamite CMA

Phone: 1800 002 262

Email: info@ccma.vic.gov.au

East Gippsland CMA

Phone: (03) 5152 0600


Glenelg Hopkins

Phone: (03) 5571 2526

Email: ghcma@ghcma.vic.gov.au

Goulburn Broken CMA

Phone: (03) 5822 7700

Mallee CMA

Phone: (03) 5001 8600

Email: reception@malleecma.com.au

North Central CMA

Phone: (03) 5448 7124

Email: info@nccma.vic.gov.au

North East CMA

Phone: 1300 216 513

Email: necma@necma.vic.gov.au

Emergency contacts and Information

Emergency contactContact details and information

Life threatening emergencies

Phone:  000

Always call triple zero if there is a threat to life

Vic State Emergency Service (VICSES)

For VICSES flood emergency assistance and to locate your local unit call 132 500

For flood advice

Local guides: Your local flood information

Information Hotline: 1800 226 226

Social Media

Facebook: facebook.com/vicses

Twitter: twitter.com/vicsesnews


Monitor the VicEmergency app, website and hotline for flood warnings and emergency information in Victoria.

Website: emergency.vic.gov.au

Emergency Broadcasters

Emergency AM and FM radio broadcasters

Technical support

Agriculture Victoria staff can assist farmers with technical support and advice in the following areas:

  • cropping, grazing and pasture recovery
  • water budgeting and quality
  • soil erosion management
  • animal health and nutrition
  • whole farm planning.

For more information email: recovery@agriculture.vic.gov.au or call 1800 226 226

For information on workshops and events, visit the Agriculture Victoria events listing,

For advice on how to prepare for a flood, and what to do before and after a flood event visit the Floods page on the Agriculture Victoria website.

To report flood damage on farm call 1800 226 226

Emergency Animal Disease (EAD) Hotline

If you suspect a pest or disease outbreak or have seen something unusual contact the EAD hotline 1800 675 888

Business support

Support  providerDescriptionContact details

Agriculture Victoria Farm Business Management and Planning Support

Agriculture Victoria delivers technical and decision-making support services to assist farm businesses recovering from events such as flood. Working with our industry partners, the department provides services across industries including beef, sheep, dairy, grains, horticulture and irrigation.

Visit agriculture.vic.gov.au/floods or call 1800 226 226

Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS)

The RFCS provides free financial counselling to farmers and small businesses who are in, or at risk of, financial hardship.

National Information Line 1300 771 741

Find a Rural Financial Counselling Service at  Rural Financial Counselling Service locations

Farmer Assistance Hotline
(Australian Government)

Information on the Australian Government's support services available to farmers and rural communities.

Call 132 316

Flood warnings and rainfall information


VicRoads – road closures

For latest road closures and traffic hazards visit VicRoads – VicTraffic.

Flood Warnings

For information about flood warnings see  the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) and the VicEmergency App

Victorian weather and warnings

You can view weather forecasts and rainfall information on the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) website

River Height Levels

View river height levels for all Victorian regions at Victoria Rainfall and River Conditions on the BoM website.

Local government contact information

Visit Local Government Victoria to locate contact details for your local council.

Agriculture Victoria recovery support services

Technical support and advice is available in the following areas:

Cropping, grazing and pasture recovery

  • Species options for resowing
  • Soil requirements for sowing new pastures
  • Assessing soil characteristics
  • Interpreting soil test results
  • Predicting pasture recovery over the next year

Water quality

  • Assess on-farm storage capacity in dams and tanks, look for holes and leaks
  • Contaminates may have entered water sources
  • If in doubt, consider alternative water source for stock
  • Develop strategies to protect water supplies from contamination
  • Identify stock water requirements

Soil erosion management

Loss of ground cover can lead to significant soil erosion. Technical advice is available for the following:

  • Mitigating soil erosion
  • Gully, tunnel and sheet erosion
  • Impacts on water quality following a flood

Animal health and nutrition

  • Move stock to high ground for feeding
  • Feed budgeting, including understanding feed quality and livestock requirements
  • Long-term farm decisions and managing through varying climatic conditions
  • Costs, cashflow to aid short and long-term decisions
  • Stock condition scores and targets
  • Containment areas and restocking
  • Using own land for agistment
  • Using land for hay and silage production or cropping
  • Design and management of shade and shelter for livestock
  • Advice on animal health

Whole farm planning

Whole Farm Planning can help improve farm productivity and sustainability through the following:

  • Matching land use and capability
  • Understand of soils and their management
  • Assessing water needs
  • Management of land degradation
  • Pastures and grazing management
  • Native vegetation in a farming system
  • Risk management
  • Farm design (paddock size, laneways etc)
Page last updated: 25 Nov 2022