Financial support services

There are several financial support services and grants available for farm workers, families and businesses experiencing dry seasonal conditions in Victoria.

Rural Financial Counselling Service

The Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS) offers free and independent financial information, options, decision-making support and referral services to primary producers and small rural businesses experiencing hardship.

Offices are located across Victoria and counsellors can visit a business or residence to provide advice.

Call the national toll-free number 1300 771 741 or one of the following local Victorian RFCS services.

North east

Rural Financial Counselling Service – North east
1300 834 775 or (02) 6057 5777
Head office: Wodonga
Counsellors in Shepparton, Numurkah, Benalla and Seymour.

North west

Rural Financial Counselling Service – North West
1300 735 578 or (03) 5572 4540
Head office: Mildura
Counsellors in Bendigo, Donald, Mildura and Swan Hill.


Rural Financial Counselling Service – Western
1300 735 578 or (03) 5572 4540
Head office: Hamilton
Counsellors in Ballarat, Cobden/Terang, Colac, Horsham and Warrnambool.


Rural Financial Counselling Service – Eastern
1300 045 747
Head office: Leongatha
Counsellors in Ellinbank, Maffra and Bairnsdale.

Farm Household Allowance

This Australian Government program makes an income support payment available to eligible farmers and their families experiencing financial hardship.

Call 136 186 or visit Services Australia.

Farmer Assistance Hotline

Information on the Australian Government's support services available to farmers and rural communities.

Call 136 186 or visit Services Australia.

Farm Debt Mediation

The scheme makes it compulsory for banks and other creditors to offer mediation to farmers before commencing debt recovery proceedings on farm mortgages.

Call our Customer Service Centre on 136 186 or visit our Farm debt mediation page.


Regional Investment Corporation's Drought Loan

The Australian Government has established the Regional Investment Corporation (RIC).

The RIC offers a drought loan of up to $2 million to assist farmers to prepare for, manage and recover from the effects of drought.

Call 1800 875 675.

Page last updated: 15 Nov 2021