Health and counselling support services

If you or your family has been affected by drought, you're not alone. There are a range of health and welfare support services available to you.

Contact one of the following services for support or call our Customer Service Centre on 136 186 for more information.

If you're struggling financially or concerned about your farming business, see Financial support services.

Specialist mental health service

The Department of Health and Human Services' specialist mental health service provides information and resources for people who are seriously affected by their illness.

National Centre for Farmer Health

The National Centre for Farmer Health provides research, workshops and other programs to improve the health, safety and wellbeing of farm workers, their families and communities across Australia. The centre is a partnership between Western District Health Service and Deakin University based in Hamilton.

For more information, call (03) 5551 8533.

Victorian Better Health Channel

The Department of Health and Human Services' Better Health Channel provides health and medical information that is quality assured, reliable, up to date, easy to understand, regularly reviewed and locally relevant.

Some relevant factsheets specific to rural issues include:

Speak to your local GP

If you're dealing with stressful events, you might find it helpful to talk them over with your local GP. Your GP can refer you to other appropriate support people.

Telephone counselling and health support lines

There are a number of telephone counselling services that can respond to callers about a wide range of concerns and personal emergencies.


Nurse-on-call is a 24/7 phone service that provides immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse.

Call 1300 60 60 24.


Lifeline offers 24/7 telephone counselling for people in crisis. Connect with someone who cares.

Call 13 11 14 for immediate support.

If you need emergency assistance, call 000.

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue has information about issues associated with depression and anxiety.

Call 1300 224 636.

MensLine Australia

MensLine is a 24/7 service for men with relationship and family concerns.

Call 1300 78 99 78.

Kids Helpline

Kids Helpline is a 24/7 telephone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25.

Call 1800 55 1800.

Family Relationship Service

Family Relationships Online provides families with access to information about family relationship issues.

Call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321.

Farmer Assistance Hotline

Call the Farmer Assistance Hotline on 132 316 for information on the Commonwealth Government's support services available to farmers and rural communities, such as the Farm Household Allowance.

Page last updated: 30 Aug 2021