NLIS requirements for agricultural shows, events and rodeos
Those operating agricultural shows, events and rodeos are required to ensure that livestock are correctly identified, scanned and ‘sighted’ on the NLIS database.
Requirements for Agricultural shows, livestock event and rodeo operators
Operators of agricultural shows, livestock events and rodeos must ensure they meet the following requirements.
Property Identification Code (PIC)
A show, event or rodeo must have a PIC registered to the property at which a show, event or rodeo is located. The PIC details must also be up-to-date.
You can also call the Agriculture Victoria NLIS Helpline on 1800 678 779.
A ‘sporting event’ NLIS account is required to enable a ‘sighted’ transfer to be performed.
Livestock present at an agricultural show, event or rodeo must be tagged with an appropriate NLIS tag.
If an animal is untagged — is incorrectly tagged — or has a non-reading device — an orange (cattle) or pink (sheep and goats) post-breeder tag bearing the PIC of the show, event or rodeo must be attached to the animal’s ear.
A non-reading NLIS tag must be removed before being replaced.
Sheep and goats dispatched to an event from interstate must be identified in accordance with the legal requirements of the jurisdiction from which they were dispatched.
Scan livestock tags
All cattle, sheep and goats present at an agricultural show, event or rodeo must be scanned.
If event operators do not have access to a scanner, they can be borrowed from an Agriculture Victoria Animal Health staff member, or a contractor can be engaged to do the scanning.
NLIS transfer requirements
An NLIS or sighted transfer onto the show, event or rodeo PIC must be completed.
The sighted transfer is a simplified transfer that can be completed when livestock are returned home to their original property.
Any animals that won’t be returned home or are auctioned, must be transferred from the PIC of dispatch, to the show, event or rodeo PIC and onto the destination PIC.
To complete a NLIS or sighted transfer:
- Login onto the NLIS database
- Choose what livestock species you want to work with.
- Notify the database of — Livestock moved onto my property — (full NLIS transfer) — for use when animals won't return to the property of origin
- Notify the database of — Sighted livestock — (simplified transfer) — for use when animals will return to the property of origin
The following data must be entered when completing an NLIS or sighted transfer:
- Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) internal number, or visually read external NLIS tag number for each animal
- PIC of the property the animals came from or the PIC of the event (depending on NLIS transfer completed)
- date the animals arrived at the show, event or rodeo
- Event name or description — for example Benalla A & P Society Spring Show 2018 — (sighted transfer only)
The NLIS and sighted transfer must be completed within two days of the show, event or rodeo.
Further information about completing the sighted transfer can be obtained from the Tech Tip (NLIS Database) Sighted Livestock or by contacting the NLIS Database Helpdesk.
Visit the NLIS website for more information on how to use the NLIS database.
- National livestock identification system requirements — Agricultural shows, events and rodeos (WORD - 237 KB)
Traceability: your livestock, your industry, our future.