Puppy farm legislation
Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farms and Pet Shops) Act 2017
The Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farm and Pet Shops) Act 2017 (the PFPS Act) passed the Victorian Parliament on 15 December 2017 and is now in operation.
- The PFPS Act was introduced to Parliament following a Parliamentary Inquiry and feedback from members of the general public, veterinary groups, animal welfare organisations, rescue organisations, local councils, dog and cat breeders, pet shops and representative groups.
The amendments to the Domestic Animals Act 1994 (Act) deliver on the government's election commitment to reform the dog breeding and pet shop industries in Victoria and better regulate the sale of dogs and cats.
The PFPS Act amends the Act to:
- limit the number of fertile female dogs breeders can keep
- restrict pet shops to selling dogs and cats sourced from shelters, pounds or enrolled foster carers*
- clarify the role of foster carers
- define 'recreational breeders' and 'microbreeders'
- confirm the definition of 'farm working dogs'
- introduce the animal sale permit system
- improve traceability of cats and dogs through the establishment of the Pet Exchange Register**
- strengthen pet advertisement offences
*Note, relevant sections commenced on 1 July 2018
**Note, relevant section commences on 1 July 2019
Breeding and selling animals
Applications and permits to breed and sell animals in accordance with legal obligations are available:
- Commercial dog breeder application
- Obtain an animal sale permit
- Apply to become a declared bird organisation
Below are a range of factsheets and infographics, which contain additional detail about the Act.
- What needs to be in advertisements for cats and dogs? (PDF - 551.9 KB)
- What needs to be in advertisements for cats and dogs (WORD - 809.9 KB)
- Do I need to register as a breeding domestic animal business? (PDF - 572.0 KB)
- Do I need to register as a breeding animal business (WORD - 809.1 KB)
- Do I need a source number from the Pet Exchange Register (PDF - 648.1 KB)
- Do I need a source number from the Pet Exchange Register (WORD - 809.3 KB)