Chemical use legislation
The Commonwealth Government agency – the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) – regulates the supply and sale of agricultural and veterinary (agvet) chemicals nationally. The Victorian Government is responsible for regulating their use and some aspects of supply in our state.
Acts and regulations
A range of controls under Victorian legislation define how agricultural and veterinary chemicals may be supplied and used.
These controls are designed to:
- protect Victoria's trade in livestock and agricultural products
- protect the health and welfare of animals, chemical users, the general public and the environment
You can access the current Acts and legislation listed below by visiting Victorian legislation.
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Regulations 2017
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) (Fertilisers) Regulations 2015
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Infringement Notices) Regulations 2013
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Ruminant Feed) Regulations 2015
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Act 1994
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Regulations 1995
- Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981
- Drugs Poisons and Controlled Substances Regulations 2017
Relevant legislation administered by other government agencies (such as the Environmental Protection Authority) can also be found on Victorian legislation.
The primary piece of legislation for Victorian agvet chemical users is the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992. It imposes controls in relation to the use, application and sale of agvet chemicals, fertilisers and stock foods.
The Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Regulations 2017 sets out the record-keeping requirements for agvet chemical users. It also imposes controls on vets and mandates notification of spraying near specified places.
The Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) (Fertilisers) Regulations 2015 prescribes labelling requirements for fertilisers.
Orders in council
Additional legislative controls have been established under the Act via various Orders in Council which further regulates the use of agvet chemicals and stock food in Victoria.
19950309 G9 Order
19960729 S086 Notice
19960801 G30 Order
19960801 G030 Order
20010823 G034 Order
20011213 G050 Order
Exemptions under section 5 (relating to scientific use, off-label use by vets and commercial use in a residential garden)
20021017 G042 Order
20030313 G011 Order
20060223 G008 Notice
Incorporating material - Extended Mallee ACCA (spray equipment)
20060223 G008 Order
20080508 G19 Order
20120322 G12 Order
20160303 G9 Order
20191128 G48 Order
20191128 G48 Order