Taskforce on rehoming pets
On 30 March 2021, the Minister for Agriculture launched the Taskforce on Rehoming Pets (the Taskforce). The Taskforce comprises Member for Western Victoria Andy Meddick (Chair), Member for Bendigo West Maree Edwards and Member for Narre Warren South Gary Maas.
The Taskforce will investigate and consider how to improve and better support rehoming pathways for dogs and cats in Victoria, including those used in medical research. Specifically, the Taskforce will provide recommendations on the following themes in a report to Government by the end of 2021:
- how to improve the welfare and survival rates of cats and dogs requiring rehoming while maintaining community safety
- a regulatory framework for the rehoming of pets in Victoria
- how to improve transparency in the movement of animals between shelters, pounds, Community Foster Care Networks and rescue groups
- how to improve information and advice for scientific organisations and Animal Ethics Committees to support the successful rehoming of dogs and cats used in research and teaching
- how to further develop and implement the successful rehoming of dogs and cats used in research and teaching.
The Taskforce is undertaking wide stakeholder consultation to inform its recommendations and identify opportunities for reform.