Code of Practice for the Operation of Breeding and Rearing Businesses (2014)
Amended breeding Code – commenced June 2018
The Minister for Agriculture has made consequential changes to the Code of Practice for the Operation of Breeding and Rearing Businesses (2014) following the commencement of new breeding provisions under the Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farms and Pet Shops) Act 2017.
The changes note the new commercial breeding and recreational breeding provisions, including updated qualifications.
Revised Code booklet
Online breeder training course
As part of the tool kit prepared for breeders, we have developed a FREE online breeder training course. This training course meets the minimum competency requirements in the Code.
This toolkit provides businesses and enforcement officers with guides and templates to ensure all businesses are complaint with the revised Code.
The templates can be downloaded and used by businesses to ensure they meet minimum record keeping requirements under the revised Code, and to help with the day-to-day operation of their business. Template documents are available in word format, so they can be edited to suit the business type.
The following documents are available in the tool kit:
- Animal card (WORD - 93.0 KB)
- Animal return form (WORD - 980.5 KB)
- Animal sale checklist (WORD - 976.3 KB)
- Becoming compliant (WORD - 1011.7 KB)
- Breeding clearance health certificate (WORD - 96.1 KB)
- Cat and kitten pre-sale health check certificate (WORD - 979.1 KB)
- Complete animal record (WORD - 1008.5 KB)
- Daily checks record for pen block (WORD - 93.9 KB)
- Emergency euthanasia template (WORD - 979.1 KB)
- Guide to developing a health management plan (WORD - 980.1 KB)
- Guide to developing emergency procedures (WORD - 1012.7 KB)
- Pen or cage card (WORD - 92.3 KB)
- Postpartum health check certificate (WORD - 96.1 KB)
- Sale guarantee and health declaration (WORD - 1014.4 KB)