Legislation and regulation
The department undertakes key roles across agriculture sectors in Victoria, either directly, through statutory agencies or with partner agencies across the Victorian Government. The department administers various pieces of legislation which support these activities.
In addition, the department also administers legislation regulating:
- food safety
- game hunting
- animal welfare.
All legislation is available on the Victorian Legislation website.
The following acts and regulations relate to the agriculture portfolio of the department.
Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) (Ruminant Feed) Regulations 2015
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) (Infringement Notices) Regulations 2013
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) (Fertilisers) Regulations 2015
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Regulations 2017.
Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Victoria) Act 1994
Agricultural Industry Development Act 1990
- Agricultural Industry Development (Polls) Regulations 2011.
Biological Control Act 1986
Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994
- Catchment and Land Protection Regulations 2012
- Catchment and Land Protection (Register of Interests) Regulations 2016.
Conservation, Forests and Lands Act 1987
- Conservation, Forests and Lands (Infringement Notice) Regulations 2013
- Conservation, Forests and Lands (Primary Industries Infringement Notices) Regulations 2013.
Control of Genetically Modified Crops Act 2004
Dairy Act 2000
Domestic Animals Act 1994
- Domestic Animals Regulations 2015.
Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981
- Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances (Industrial Hemp) Regulations 2018
- Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances (Poppy Cultivation and Processing) Regulations 2014.
Farm Debt Mediation Act 2011
Fisheries Act 1995
- Fisheries Regulations 2019
- Fisheries (Fees, Royalties and Levies) Regulations 2017.
Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988
- Flora and Fauna Guarantee Regulations 2020.
Food Act 1994
Forests (Wood Pulp Agreement) Act 1996
Game Management Authority Act 2014
Grain Handling and Storage Act 1995
Impounding of Livestock Act 1994
- Impounding of Livestock Regulations 2018.
Livestock Disease Control Act 1994
- Livestock Disease Control Regulations 2017.
Livestock Management Act 2010
- Livestock Management Regulations 2011.
Meat Industry Act 1993
- Meat Industry Regulations 2015.
Melbourne Market Authority Act 1977
Plant Biosecurity Act 2010
- Plant Biosecurity Regulations 2016.
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2019
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Domestic Fowl) Regulations 2016.
Royal Agricultural Showgrounds Act 2003
Seafood Safety Act 2003
- Seafood Safety Regulations 2014.
State Owned Enterprises Act 1992
Stock (Seller Liability and Declarations) Act 1993
Sustainable Forest (Timber) Act 2004
Veterinary Practice Act 1997
- Veterinary Practice Regulations 2018.
Wildlife Act 1975
- Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012.