Livestock Farm Monitor Project
The Livestock Farm Monitor Project estimates the economic performance of surveyed sheep and cattle farms by collecting detailed physical and financial farm information.
The objective and timely data generated through this project is relied on by industry and government decision-makers. The project has been funded by Agriculture Victoria for 50 years.
Participating producers receive a confidential individualised report that compares their business's production and economic performance over time. The individual farm report can help obtain or extend a farm loan or to inform and provide confidence in short, medium and long-term on-farm decision making.
Agriculture Victoria is offering all Victorian sheep and beef producers the opportunity to participate in the Livestock Farm Monitor Project. There's no cost for participants, and all information is treated as strictly confidential.
Farm performance analysis occurs in July and August each year, to coincide with the availability of farm data from the previous financial year (FY).
Information required includes:
- all farm income and costs for the financial year taken — this can be taken from various sources such as receipts, cashbook outputs, payment advices from your livestock agent, wool broker and other sources
- livestock trading details — type, number and weights of animals bought and sold, and month and value of the trade)
- livestock breeding details — number of stock joined, number of young stock produced
- feed input and production — tonnes of hay or grain purchased or produced (and corresponding costs and income), and which enterprise the feed was fed to
- other inputs and costs collected — including fertiliser type and quantity, labour use (for example, casual or permanent), animal health, council rates, electricity, fuel
- farm assets — stock, feed inventory, land and farm machinery on hand at the beginning and end of the year
- farm liabilities — borrowed amounts at the beginning and end of the year and annual interest payments
The Livestock Farm Monitor encourages farmer discussion groups to participate. The project can provide tailored group averages and reports for each group across Victoria.
Limited places are available. Individual farms and farm discussion groups who are interested in participating should email the project leader at email@example.com for more information
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2018/19 (PDF - 2.3 MB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2018/19 overview (PDF - 1.0 MB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2017 (PDF - 2.5 MB) /18
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2017/18 (WORD - 1.3 MB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2017/18 overview (PDF - 355.3 KB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2016/17 (PDF - 2.1 MB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2016/17 (WORD - 2.8 MB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project overview infographic (PDF - 395.2 KB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2014/15 (PDF - 2.5 MB)
- Livestock Farm Monitor Project report 2014/15 (WORD - 2.9 MB)
- 2012/13 report (PDF - 1.4 MB)
- 2012/13 report (WORD - 431.0 KB)
- Appendices (PDF - 1.0 MB)
- Appendices (WORD - 3.0 MB)