Late season frost
Late season frosts can have significant impacts on agricultural crops across the state. When they occur, Agriculture Victoria works with industry groups and farmers to assess potential damage and assist recovery.
Late season frost can have financial and emotional impacts on farmers and their businesses. If affected it's important to be proactive and make informed decisions on what actions you should undertake at what point in time.
Farmers with crops that may have been impacted by frost are encouraged to:
- inspect crops for signs of damage (the longer you wait the less options you have to respond)
- if damage suspected consult your agronomist to diagnose extent of damage
- develop a plan of action/response with consideration to the short, medium and longer term.
To support farmers and advisors manage the impact of frost damage, links to relevant services and technical publications is provided.
- Dealing with late season frosts — latest update of the GRDC frost support products and tools
- Frequently Asked Questions —booklet which has a quick summary of common frost questions
- What to do with a frosted crop — quick guide on the options to consider (harvest, fodder, graze)
- Collated GRDC frost resources — useful GRDC compilation which shares recent storyline with tweets, news and frost resources.
- Australian Wine Research Industry Website — specific advice can be sought by asking the AWRI Helpdesk (AWRI helpdesk Phone 08 8313 6600 Fax 08 8313 6601 Email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Frost management in vineyards — AWRI Fact Sheet detailing options for managing frost damage
- Information Pack — a compilation of frost reports and resources from AWRI
- Vineyard frost management strategies (AWRI webinar recording)— frost management options for vineyards (AWRI webinar recording)
Rural Financial Counselling Service is available to provide free independent and confidential counselling and decision making support.
The RFCS can be contacted on 1800 686 175 (toll free) or:
- Western RFCS — 1300 735 578
- Eastern RFCS — (03) 5662 2566)
- North East RFCS — 1300 834 775
- North West RFCS — 1300 769 489