Movement documentation

A movement document such as a Livestock Production Assurance National Vendor Declaration (LPA NVD) or similar document must be completed by the owner or person responsible for the husbandry of the animals when they move.

The movement document creates a record of the movement and provides the receiver with valuable food safety information (for example, chemical treatment and exposure history). False or misleading answers on movement documents can lead to prosecution and civil action by the buyer.

When a movement document is required

A movement document must be completed when cattle, sheep, goats and pigs of any age are:

  • sent to an abattoir, saleyard or scale
  • moved to a property with a different Property Identification Code (PIC)
  • given away or sold as pets.

The movement document must be provided to the receiver or new owner by no later than the time the animals arrive at their destination.

Movement documents are not required:

  • for dead animals being sent for processing in a knackery
  • for animals being consigned to an agricultural show or exhibition (provided the animals will be returned to the exhibitor's property immediately after the event).

Livestock Production Assurance National Vendor Declaration (LPA NVD)

Livestock Production Assurance (LPA) is industry’s on-farm quality assurance program.

Producers must be LPA accredited to access sheep, goat and cattle LPA NVD forms. When you tick the boxes and sign your LPA NVD, you are declaring that your on-farm practices comply with LPA standards.

To access LPA NVDs:

Non-LPA movement documents

People who choose to not to be part of the LPA program can complete the following generic sheep, goat or cattle Consignment Declaration

Some buyers, however, may require as a condition of purchase that the livestock they acquire are accompanied by a correctly completed current edition LPA NVD form.

A Consignment Declaration is not a current edition LPA NVD form.

Confirm with the person who will receive your cattle, sheep or goats before the consignment leaves your property that they are willing to accept a non-LPA Consignment Declaration.

Movement documents for pigs

Movement documents for pigs are supplied by Australian Pork Limited through its PigPass program. They are called PigPass NVDs.

To access PigPass NVDs:

To obtain NVDs you need a PIC

You will need a PIC for the property on which your animals are kept before ordering LPA NVD forms. Applying for a PIC is simple and there is no cost involved.

You will need a PIC before ordering NVD forms. Applying for a PIC is simple and there is no cost involved. More information on PICs and how to apply for one can be found on the Property Identification Codes web page.

How to fill out an NVD

The entire NVD must be correctly completed to meet industry standards. Further information about how to complete specific NVDs can be found on the Integrity Systems website.

Which NVD edition do I need to use?

Many buyers are only interested in purchasing livestock accompanied by a current edition LPA NVD or PigPass NVD. It's important that livestock producers check the expectations and requirements of buyers when trading livestock.

Do I need to get a movement document from the seller or their agent when I buy livestock?

It's crucial that you receive a movement document such as an LPA NVD, Consignment Declaration or a PigPass NVD, when you acquire livestock as it contains a declaration of the food safety status of animals in the consignment and will assist in the tracking of animals in a disease or food safety emergency.

Stock agents must within two business days of a sale dispatch to the purchaser of store and breeding stock a copy of the consignor's NVD or a post-sale summary that summarises the answers on the vendor’s NVD form.

Keeping copies of your movement documents

You must keep movement documents for purchased livestock for seven years for cattle, sheep and goats and two years for pigs to allow the tracking of animals if the need arises.

Sellers must also keep a copy of the movement document that they supply for seven years.

Page last updated: 21 Nov 2022