The Ellinbank SmartFarm in Gippsland is Australia’s leading dairy innovation facility, fast-tracking innovative technology solutions in a research environment and showcasing them to the dairy industry.
It is delivering benefits to the Australian dairy industry in terms of productivity and environmental sustainability through:
- improvements in measuring, managing and utilising the homegrown feedbase
- improving the health and welfare of cows
- improving the longevity and lifetime performance of cows
- sustainably increasing annual milk production per cow.
This SmartFarm has an ambitious target of being the world’s first carbon-neutral dairy farm by:
- reducing methane emissions
- generating electricity through a range of alternate options including solar, wind and bio-digestion
- improved fertiliser and manure management practices.
Page last updated: 25 Jun 2020