Pounds NLIS requirements
Pound staff and operators are required to ensure that livestock are correctly identified, scanned and transferred on the NLIS database.
Specific requirements are listed below.
1. Obtain a Property Identification Code (PIC)
- ensure a PIC is registered to the property at which the pound is located
- ensure the PIC details are up to date.
Apply for, amend or cancel a PIC
Apply for a new property identification code (PIC) or amend or cancel an existing PIC online or by calling the Agriculture Victoria NLIS Helpline 1800 678 779Apply, amend or cancel online
2. Obtain an NLIS account
- a ‘pound’ NLIS account is required to enable a transfer onto the pound PIC or a ‘sighted’ transfer to be performed
Access the NLIS
Register or log in to Australia's national livestock identification system (NLIS) online or call the NLIS Database Helpdesk on 1800 654 743NLIS online
3. Ensure that all livestock present are tagged
Cattle, sheep or goats
If an animal is untagged, is incorrectly tagged or has a non-reading device, an orange cattle or pink sheep and goat post-breeder tag bearing the PIC of the pound must be affixed to the animal’s ear before they leave the pound.
If a pig does not have a tag or a tattoo please contact the Agriculture Victoria NLIS Helpline.
NLIS tags for cattle, sheep, goats and pigs
Order post-breeder tags online or call the Agriculture Victoria NLIS Helpline 1800 678 779Order online
4. Scan or visually record livestock tags
All cattle, sheep and goats present at a pound must have their NLIS tags scanned or visually recorded.
5. Complete an NLIS transfer onto the pound PIC or a ‘sighted transfer’ on the NLIS database
The sighted transfer is a simplified transfer that can be completed when livestock are kept at a pound for less than seven days and are returned to their original property. Any animals that are kept for longer than seven days or do not return to their original property from the pound must be transferred onto the pound PIC.
- Log onto the NLIS database
- Choose what livestock species you want to work with.
- Notify the database of – Livestock moved onto my property (full NLIS transfer onto the pound PIC)
- Notify the database of – Sighted livestock (simplified transfer)
6. Completing a full NLIS transfer or a sighted transfer
To complete a full or sighted transfer you will need to upload the following data:
- Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) internal number, or visually read external NLIS tag number for each animal
- PIC of the property the animals arrived from (for a full NLIS transfer) or the PIC of the pound (for a sighted transfer)
- date the animals arrived at the pound.
Completing a full or 'sighted' transfer
Find out more about completing a full or sighted transfer from the NLIS Database Sight Livestock Tech Tip online or by contacting the NLIS Database Helpdesk on 1800 654 743Log in to read tech tip
7. Report the movement of pigs on the PigPass database
All pigs present at a pound must have their movement reported on the PigPass database.
Information about PigPass can be found online at pigpass.australianpork.com.au under the FAQ tab or by calling the PigPass helpdesk on 1800 001 458