Approved Obedience Training Organisations
The following organisations have been approved by the Minister for Agriculture as Approved Obedience Training Organisations in accordance with the requirements of Regulation 49 of the Domestic Animals Regulations:
- Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc
- The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc
- Dogs Victoria
- Four Paws K9 Training
The above organisations are required to produce an annual report and have a code of ethics that promotes responsible pet ownership in compliance with the Act and its related codes of practice. It is expected that the organisation will take disciplinary action against members who do not comply with the organisation's code.
As an approved obedience training organisation the Minister may approve an assessment program if the organisation provides assesses a dog in the following skills:
- heeling or walking with handler
- sociability with other dogs
- staying on command (known as the stay test)
- coming to handler on command (known as a recall test)
- absence of aggression
For the purpose of the Schedule of the Act, dogs that have undergone obedience training which comply with the Regulations will receive a reduced registration fee with their Council.
Qualified Obedience Trainer
A qualified trainer is a person who is a current member of one of the organisation approved by the Minister (listed above). The trainer must have completed, to the satisfaction of that organisation, a training course that has been approved by the Minister that is administered by that organisation.
The Minister may approve a training course if it provides for:
- training in appropriate equipment used to train dogs
- practical obedience training of dogs
- a written or oral examination on the theory of dog training
- a practical examination of a person's dog training skills
- a probationary or learning period of at least 100 hours in which the trainee is under the supervision of a qualified dog trainer
Dog Training Establishments
All Dog Training Establishments must register as a Domestic Animal Business with the local council in the municipality that it resides. Note that not all Dog Training Establishments are also "Approved Training Organisations".
Click here for more information about Dog Training Establishments.