About humane vertebrate pest control
Humane vertebrate pest control is the development and selection of feasible control programs and techniques that avoid or minimise pain, suffering and distress to target and non-target animals in vertebrate pest control programs.
Ministerial approval is required to use of some types of traps and, in some circumstances, the locations where certain traps can be used.
Types of traps
- Leghold traps
- Confinement traps
- Humane cage trapping of domestic, unowned and wild cats
- Non-kill snares (require ministerial approval)
- Kill traps (require ministerial approval)
- Lethal trap devices (require ministerial approval)
Glue traps are banned from being sold or used on animals, (conditions apply to use for insects).
- Review: Welfare Outcomes of Leg-hold Trap Use in Victoria
- Fumigation of rabbit warrens with chloropicrin produces poor welfare outcomes