FAQs–rescue organisations, community foster care networks and the PER

Rescue organisations and CFCNs can easily register for a Pet Exchange Register (PER) source number.

You can download these FAQs in PDF format.

+ Expand all- Collapse all

Yes. Simply put the name of your CFCN or rescue organisation in the ‘business/organisation name’ field.

Yes. Animal Welfare Victoria introduced a user category for Rescue organisations and CFCNs who self-enrol on the PER. A source number issued to these entities will be identifiable with the prefix of RE.

Importantly, this difference in registration is reflected in the level of detail required to support the registration record. For example, rescue organisations and CFCNs are not required to include details of individual animals in their care when registering for a source number.

Yes. If your rescue organisation or CFCN has already enrolled or renewed with an EE prefix but would like to update the source number to reflect the new prefix of RE, you can contact the PER team at per@agriculture.vic.gov.au.

Over 250 rescue organisations or CFCNs have self-enrolled on the PER.

An individual enrols on the PER as a representative of the organisation.

In most cases this would be the same as the Secretary of an incorporated association or the contact person nominated with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission.

The process is simple and is as follows:

  • Verify your email address and set up a password.
  • Provide your name and verify it using an official form of ID
    (takes around 30 seconds).
  • Provide a contact phone number
  • Provide the organisation’s address (registered address of your incorporated association/charity).
  • Provide the organisation’s local council
  • You may put the name of your CFCN or rescue group in the ‘business/organisation’ name field (this is optional).
  • Complete payment of the associated fee
  • The source number is generated immediately, displayed on screen and emailed to you.

You can enrol by visiting the Pet Exchange Register.

The PER allows enrolment on a variety of online devices. Paper enrolment forms are also available. For copies of paper forms, please contact 136 186 or email per@agriculture.vic.gov.au.

The PER  improves the traceability of dogs and cats sold or rehomed in Victoria, leading to better animal welfare outcomes.

The PER introduces a level of traceability for dogs, cats, puppies and kittens being sold or given away in Victoria that has never existed before.

The PER is just one step in a range of actions the Victorian Government has taken to reform breeding and pet sale industries in Victoria.

An annual fee applies. Payment can be made online, by phone or BPAY

A source number is valid for one year and can be renewed annually for as long as you need it for advertising and/or microchip implantation in Victoria. If you no longer require your source number, you may simply let it expire. A source number can be renewed at any time.

No. If the organisation is advertising/microchipping dogs or cats for rehoming, then the organisation applies for a source number and uses this number in all its advertisements and for microchip implantation in Victoria

Any organisation enrolling on the PER is required to provide a key contact person.

The individual identified in your PER enrolment could be the same, or different, as the Secretary of your incorporated association or the person nominated in your charity registration.

It is important that an accountable individual is identified for the organisation to ensure they can be contacted by authorities.  For example, if someone is fraudulently using the Organisation’s source number.

No. Individual details are not publicly available. Any public search for a rescue organisation or CFCN source number will only reveal that the number is valid and the name of the local council.

Yes, the PER applies to any person or business advertising a dog, cat, puppy or kitten for sale or rehoming. The only exception is for registered Greyhound Racing Victoria greyhounds.  Transfer of ownership during a greyhound’s racing career is captured on the Greyhound Racing Victoria database. Once a greyhound is retired and ready for rehoming however and no longer registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria, the advertiser must obtain a source number from the PER.

To identify those doing the wrong thing, and for Victorians to have confidence in knowing where their pet comes from, it is important for the PER to apply equally to all persons or businesses advertising dogs and cats.

A source number is required when implanting a microchip into a dog or cat born after 1 July 2020.

Where breeder details are unknown, shelters and pounds will need to use their own source number when implanting a new microchip into a dog or cat in their care.

The PER formed part of the Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farms and Pet Shops) Act 2017 that passed through Parliament after extensive stakeholder consultation. Groups consulted include:

  • RSPCA Victoria
  • Australian Veterinary Association
  • Applicable Organisations
  • Breeders
  • Industry groups
  • Community Foster Care Networks and rescue organisations.

For more information

Visit the Animal Welfare Victoria website, email per@agriculture.vic.gov.au or call 136 186.

Page last updated: 09 May 2023