About licensing to use animals in research or teaching

A white mouse being held in someone's hand.

Organisations or individuals wanting to conduct scientific procedures with animals in Victoria must hold an authorising licence issued by Animal Welfare Victoria.

Scientific procedures may be authorised by a Scientific Procedures Premises Licence (SPPL) or a Scientific Procedures Fieldwork Licence (SPFL). This depends on the type of animals used, as well as the type of location where the work will be conducted.

The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 also requires that the breeding of specified animals (guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, and non-human primates) in Victoria for supply to be used in scientific procedures be authorised by a Specified Animals Breeding Licence (SABL). Licences are subject to conditions prescribed by the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2019.

The conditions apply to licence holders and people undertaking activities authorised by the licence.

Types of licences

There are three types of licences:

Licensing specifics

Rehoming guidelines

Guidelines for establishing a rehoming program for animals after the conclusion of a research or teaching project for licence holders, researchers, teachers and Animal Ethics Committees considering this option.


For further information regarding the licensing of scientific procedures in Victoria, please contact our Licensing and Audit team at sp.licensing@ecodev.vic.gov.au or 136 186

Page last updated: 16 Mar 2023