Part 4. Further information sources
This is Part 4 of the Code of Practice for the Housing and Care of Laboratory Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs and Rabbits.
Please refer to the comprehensive Information Sources section in the current edition of The Australian Code.
In addition, reference publications, guidelines or codes, consulted or mentioned during the development of this code are provide.
- A review of enrichment techniques for laboratory rodents, D.Figa, University of Sydney, 2004.
- Code of practice for the housing and care of animals used in scientific procedures parts 1 and 2.
- Code of Practice for the Housing of Animals in Designated Breeding and Supplying Establishments.
- Code of Practice for the Humane Killing of Animals under Schedule 1 to the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.
- Comfortable Quarters for Laboratory Animals. V and A Reinhardt. 10th edition, 2015. Animal Welfare Institute
- Environmental enrichment information: resources for laboratory animals.
- Euthanasia of Animals Used for Scientific Purposes. Published by ANZCCART 2001.
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, National Research Council (USA), National Academy Press.
- Guide to the Care and Use of Experimental Animals, Volume 1 and 2, Canadian Council on Animal Care.
- Guidelines for the Housing of Rabbits in Scientific Institutions, NSW Animal Research Review Panel.
- Guidelines for Transgenic Research. Canadian Council on Animal Care.
- Housing for Laboratory Rats, Mice, Guinea pigs and Rabbits. A.L Hargreaves. ANZCCART 2000
- Individually ventilated cages and rodent welfare: Report of the 2002 RSPCA/UFAW rodent welfare group meeting. Email: Research_Animals@rspca.org.uk for a copy.
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) Live Animal Regulations: worldwide standards for transporting animals by commercial airlines.
- Macro vs Micro environment, Static vs Ventilated Cages, Facility Design vs Practices, Dr Beth Ford, ANZLAS Conference 2003.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Design Policy and Guidelines, VOLUME 3 Animal Research Facilities, NIH (USA). www.nih.gov/research/animals
- Office of Gene Technology — guidelines for the certification of PC2 animal facilities. www.ogtr.gov.au
- Recommendations for Euthanasia of Experimental Animals Part 1 and 2, Report of a United Kingdom Working Party, Laboratory Animals, 30:293-316, 1996, 31: 1-32, 1997.
- Refinement of housing conditions and environmental enrichment for laboratory animals.
- Refinement and Reduction in Production of Genetically Modified Mice. Report of the BVAWF/FRAME/RSPCA/UFAW Joint working group on refinement. Laboratory Animals n37, Supplement 1, 2003.
- Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia. Published by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
- The Biology and Medicine of Rabbits and Rodents, 3rd edition. Harkness J.E. and Wagner J.E. (1989) Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia PA USA.
- The Mouse and The Rat, 1993 ANZCCART fact sheets.
- UFAW handbook on the care and Management of Laboratory Animals, 7th Edition, Vols 1 and 2, Poole,T.B (ed) (1999) Universities Federation for Animal Welfare. Blackwells Scientific and Technical, Harlow UK.
- Ammonia and other gas monitoring devices
- 'Silentone' and 'Klaxon' products: COMPMED archives/ 'Laboratory Animals' Buyers Guide.