Complying with the egg production standard

The information on this page is for egg producers (chickens, ducks and quail) who sell eggs for human consumption. It will help you understand how to produce safe eggs and meet your legal obligations.

If you produce eggs for sale or supply you must comply with the Victorian Food Act 1984 and the national Primary Production and Processing Standard for Eggs and Egg Product (the Standard).

Producers with fewer than 50 egg-producing birds (home producer)

As a home producer, you must:

  • control the food safety hazards associated with egg production
  • keep records of eggs sold of given away

You only need to tell us about your activities if you want an egg stamp code.

If you sell or give away eggs, you should apply for a poultry Property Identification Code (PIC) and an egg stamp code.

Producers with 50 or more egg-producing birds

If you have 50 or more birds producing eggs, you must:

  • notify us with your business details by applying for a Poultry PIC and for an egg stamp code
  • control the food safety hazards associated with egg production and never sell cracked or heavily soiled eggs
  • have and follow an approved food safety management statement, or be part of an approved industry or commercial quality assurance (QA) program
  • keep records of sales and supplies

See Complying with the egg production standard for information on your legal requirements to produce safe eggs.

Selling eggs on- and off-farm

We're responsible for regulating the standard for on-farm food safety activities, including the sale of eggs at farm gate.

Off-farm activities, such as retail sales, and off-farm processing (pasteurising and drying) remains the responsibility of local councils.

If you sell eggs to the public from places other than your farm, such as at a market, you must get permission from your principal council to operate at the market.

Food business activities

If you conduct more complex 'food business' activities involving the preparation of food intended for sale, you will need to get permission to operate under the Food Act from your local council.

More food safety requirements apply to these activities.

Page last updated: 20 Jul 2020