Managing almond trees with less water
Irrigators faced with reduced water allocations need to make a range of decisions including:
- the purchase of additional water (at a likely elevated value);
- prioritise water onto preferred patches;
- giving other patches reduced volumes with consequent reductions in production;
- abandoning poorly performing patches, and
- possibly removing plantings of lowest priority and bringing forward redevelopment plans.
The success of a drought irrigation strategy must consider the impacts in both the drought season and subsequent seasons.
This factsheet covers options for managing your almond trees with a reduced water allocation as well as describing the experience of an almond grower near Mildura who faced limited water availability in the 2007/08 season.
Topics covered include:
- water requirements
- regulated deficit irrigation (RDI)
- sustained deficit irrigation (SDI)
- irrigation strategy
- water saving practices (immediate and longer-term)
- water budget planning