Information for career advisors
There are many websites that provide information on careers in agriculture.
Agriculture is more than farming the land. It's our whole food and fibre industry.
Starting a conversation with a young person about their career pathway into food and fibre can be a great way to get them interested in the range of opportunities offered.
Showcasing on and off-farm careers are the young food and fibre ambassadors.
There are a range of websites dedicated to explaining careers in agriculture in a fun and interactive way.
Careers in agriculture
- Primary Industry Centre for Science Education — The Primary Industry Centre for Science Education (PICSE), is a National Strategy of collaboration between universities, their regional communities and local primary industries, to attract students into tertiary science and to increase the number of skilled professionals in agribusiness and research institutions. PICSE is the national infrastructure for a supply chain that provides the next generation of researchers and industry scientists.
- Dairy Australia — Dairy Australia provides resources to dairy careers and opportunities on farm through their Stepping Stones resource kit and the Cows Create Careers program.
- RuralSkills Australia — Rural Skill Australia (RSA) provides advice and assistance on rural and related skills and training to the National Farmers' Federation and its affiliated membership, Australian Apprenticeship Centres, Jobs Services Australia members, RTOs and group training organisations. Here you will find information about training packages, online learning resource, Australian apprenticeships and education guides for individual sectors.
- Growing Careers — Growing Careers is a website that offers a wealth of information on careers of almost every kind in forest and wood products and the paper industry across 14 sectors. It also includes industry news, education and training opportunities and environment updates on the forest and wood products industry. Growing Careers is an industry initiative resourced by Forest and Wood Products Australia Ltd (FWPA) on behalf of the forest and wood products industry and the Australian Government. FWPA, Australia's forest and wood products industry services company, provides research and development, knowledge dissemination and generic promotion activities.
- Skills One — Skills One offer a series of videos and articles of hundreds of careers across 10 sectors including 'rural and farming'. Skills One provides an excellent snapshot of the booming industries in agriculture and the wealth of trades that exist.
Education and training in food and fibre
- The Good University Guide — The Good Uni Guide is the only comprehensive and independent information source about tertiary education pathways, including postgraduate courses like the MBA, and career options in Australia. The agriculture information page is a great resource to begin a conversation with a young person about what to expect in a diversity of careers in food and fibre, and education pathways into such careers.
- Victorian Skills Gateway — The Victorian Skills Gateway is a one-stop-shop of Victorian vocational education and training to help find the best option for you. It has been developed by the Victorian Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. Searches can be performed on occupations, courses, training providers, video and written case studies. This website is also viewable via a purpose-built smartphone interface. The courses on the Victorian Skills Gateway website are either regulated qualifications under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), or short training programs comprising units of competency from regulated qualifications.