Sale and manufacture of 1080 and PAPP products
1080 bait products are available from retailers who have Agsafe 1080 premises accreditation.
PAPP bait products may also be available from accredited retailers. You can contact the only current manufacturer PAPP products, Animal Control Technologies, for further information about the supply of PAPP products.
A list of Agsafe 1080 accredited retailers can be found on the Agsafe website.
Perishable 1080 bait products can be purchased from licensed perishable bait manufacturers.
See a list of authorised perishable 1080 bait manufacturers.
- Legal requirement for the retail supply of 1080 and PAPP products (PDF - 285.2 KB)
- Legal requirement for the retail supply of 1080 and PAPP products (WORD - 192.2 KB)
Retailers of 1080 and PAPP baits
Retailers of shelf stable 1080 and PAPP products must have Agsafe 1080 and PAPP premises accreditation and have completed Agsafe personnel 1080 and PAPP training.
Retailers of perishable 1080 baits must complete the Agsafe Online course:
- Supply of perishable 1080 bait products (using 1080 Aqueous Solution)
Please contact Agsafe for further details about obtaining Agsafe 1080 premises accreditation and undertaking Agsafe1080 training.
Manufacture and retail supply of 1080 using aqueous solution
A licence from the Department of Health and Human Services is required to manufacture and sell or supply perishable 1080 pest animal bait products by retail.
Details about applying for this licence can be found on Health Victoria.
It is a DHHS licence requirement that persons who prepare perishable 1080 pest animal bait products using 1080 aqueous solution comply with the 1080 Victorian Code of practice for the preparation of perishable 1080 pest animal bait products (using 1080 Aqueous Solution).
Manufacture and wholesale supply of 1080 using Aqueous Solution
A licence from the Department of Health and Human Services is required to manufacture and sell or supply perishable 1080 pest animal bait products by wholesale.
Details about applying for this licence can be found on Health Victoria.
Commercial operator licence holders
Commercial Operator Licence (COL) holders with a vermin destroyer endorsement are eligible to apply for a Department of Health and Human Services licence to manufacture and supply perishable 1080 pest animal bait products.
To be eligible to apply for the licence COL holders must have completed the following courses:
- Perishable bait manufacturer training
- Agsafe online course — Supply of perishable 1080 bait products (using 1080 Aqueous Solution).
Once pre-requisite studies have been completed, eligible COL holders can apply to the Department of Health and Human Services for a licence to manufacture and supply perishable 1080 bait products to end users.
Details about applying for this licence can be found on the Department of Health and Human Services website.
Download the Code of Practice:
- 1080 Victorian Code of Practice for the Preparation of Perishable 1080 Pest Animal Bait Products (Using 1080 Aqueous Solution) (PDF - 533.5 KB)
- 1080 Victorian Code of Practice for the Preparation of Perishable 1080 Pest Animal Bait Products (Using 1080 Aqueous Solution) (WORD - 531.5 KB)
Mobile manufacture of perishable 1080 baits
The mobile manufacture of perishable ('fresh') 1080 baits can be done by appropriately licensed manufacturers.
Victorian landholders are now able to purchase mobile ('in field') manufactured perishable ('fresh') 1080 bait for controlling wild dogs, foxes and rabbits.
Landholders already have the option to buy shelf-stable 1080 bait and 1080 capsules for use in the canid pest ejector from retailers. Or it can be bought and couriered out to properties. Most licensed fresh 1080 bait manufacturers can transport fresh 1080 bait anywhere in Victoria within 24 hours.
To register interest for mobile manufacture of fresh 1080 bait in their local area, landholders can contact licensed 1080 bait manufacturers directly.
How mobile manufacture works
Licensed mobile 1080 bait manufacturers will come to landholders' properties and prepare fresh 1080 bait on site. All other existing bait supply requirements apply – purchasers still need to be authorised persons with relevant training and skills to handle 1080 bait products safely.
Mobile 1080 bait manufacture is best suited to coordinated community baiting programs where groups of landholders come together to lay bait on their properties at the same time.
Pricing of mobile manufactured fresh 1080 bait products will be a commercial business decision made by licensed manufacturers. Landholders may continue using existing bait supply options if they work better for their particular circumstances.
Manufacturers may allow landholders to provide their own bait substrate (red meat, liver or carrot) as a way of reducing the cost, however this needs to be discussed with and agreed to by the licensed 1080 bait manufacturer.
The commercialisation of 1080 bait supply in Victoria has already resulted in the combined total of shelf-stable and fresh bait supply locations increasing from 60 to approximately 130 between 2008 and 2015.
Most of these supply locations currently offer shelf-stable 1080 bait products and it is expected that many will also supply 1080 capsules for use in the canid pest ejector. Communities in some parts of Victoria have requested mobile 1080 bait manufacture as a means of further increasing local access to fresh 1080 bait.
Mobile 1080 bait manufacture delivers fresh bait to landholders faster than other supply options because bait is prepared directly on site.
The main beneficiaries of mobile 1080 bait manufacture are:
- local communities in remote areas of the state with limited access to fresh 1080 bait
- communities wanting to participate in coordinated community 1080 baiting programs
- community groups wishing to synchronise landscape scale 1080 baiting programs
- licensed fresh 1080 bait manufacturers who want to expand their service offering.
Can purchasers provide their own containers when receiving bait from mobile manufacturers?
Mobile perishable 1080 bait manufacturers can only provide fresh 1080 bait in labelled containers that meet legal requirements. The labelled containers must be:
- strong enough to withstand rupture
- leakage free
- securely closed.
As long as the containers comply with relevant standards, they may be provided by either the mobile manufacturer or the bait purchaser.
Requirements to be a mobile manufacturer
Mobile 1080 bait manufacturers must:
- have a DHHS 1080 poison manufacture and supply licence for a fixed premises
- have an Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority permit for Supplying a perishable bait treated with a registered chemical product
- comply with 1080 Victorian Code of practice for Preparation of perishable 1080 pest animal bait products (using 1080 Aqueous Solution)
- Comply with Directions for the use of 1080 and PAPP pest animal bait products in Victoria
- have a DHHS 1080 poison manufacture and supply licence for a mobile facility.
More detail on:
It is a commercial business decision whether licensed fresh 1080 bait manufacturers choose to become mobile manufacturers. This decision will be based on a range of factors including community demand.
If you have any concerns about 1080 bait activity occurring in your local community, contact the Customer Service Centre on 136 186.
The risks that 1080 baits may pose to the environment, human health and trade have been assessed by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority as part of the product registration and label approval process.
1080 is biodegradable in the environment and is broken down by soil micro organisms, so it does not persist over time. It is also highly soluble in water.