Key features of Wakame include:
- frilly growth (sporophyll) at base of plant
- usually found in cooler months
- well defined mid-rib running up length of blade
- smooth, thin blades that stop well before base of plant
- found from low tide mark to 20m
- rock, reef and stones, artificial structures (marinas, moorings, etc.) and aquaculture equipment.
- can rapidly colonise areas previously devoid of large algal species.
Known established populations
The Wakame is currently present in Port Phillip Bay, Apollo Bay harbour, Port Welshpool, Portland.
Report a marine pest sighting
Report any unusual marine species immediately using our online reporting system. Early reporting increases the chance of effective control and eradication. Please take good quality photos of the pests or damage to include in your report where possible.
Alternatively, you can call the Agriculture Victoria Customer Service Centre 136 186.Report a sighting