Beekeeper permits

Updated January 2023

A permit is required for anyone bringing bees, hives, queen bees, used beekeeping equipment, pollen for bee feeding, and bee products, including honeycomb, into any part of Victoria from any state or territory.

Application for queen bees from all states except NSW will be assessed. Permits will not be granted for queens, escorts and queen cells from New South Wales at this time.

Please note: permits will be assessed and provided during business hours, Monday – Friday.

For more information about permits visit Varroa mite FAQs – ‘What restrictions are in place for bees, hives, used equipment and bee products moving into Victoria?

It is your responsibility to ensure you are up to date with current movement requirements before moving your bees and related items.

Industry is reminded that a health certificate must also be obtained for all movements of bees, bee products and used fittings (beekeeping equipment) into Victoria.

If you cannot apply online, please email or phone the Customer Service Centre on 136 186

Information for permits to move hives from NSW

Victorian registered beekeepers may apply for a permit to move hives from the NSW General Emergency (blue) Zone into Victoria from Monday 23 January. (In coming weeks, beekeepers with non-Victorian registered hives will be able to apply for a permit for entry into Victoria).

Permit applicants are advised that any hives with NSW contact, will be required to be managed as per permit requirements for 12 months post entry into Victoria. Before applying, beekeepers should ensure they are able to fulfil these obligations. These are specified on the permit but will include the need to:

  • Maintain a barrier system for hives listed on the permit. This means running the hives listed on the permit as a distinct sub-unit with;
    • (a) clear, permanent marking and identification of hives, components and appliances within the sub-unit. (Will be required to describe and provide photographic evidence of the markings to AgVic apiary officers)
    • (b) procedures (including appropriate controls), to prevent non-permitted interchange of hives, components and appliances between sub-units
    • (c) training and instructions for all employees.
    • (d) documentation to enable the tracing and identification of hive components, honey and honeycomb to identifiable sub-units.
  • Complete alcohol wash tests at the specified rates (rates identical to NSW requirements) and record results in BeeMax.  Rates will be:
    • at least once in every 16-week period, complete an alcohol wash on the hives and any bees housed in those hives as follows:
      • for less than 64 hives – alcohol wash all hives, or
      • for more than 64 hives but less than 640 hives – alcohol wash 64 hives, or
      • for more than 640 hives – alcohol wash of 10% of hives; and
    • For more than 64 hives, hives requiring mite inspection should be selected at random and tested on rotation within the Barrier System; and
    • Any hives that have had testing and surveillance for mites and found free of Varroa mite must be identified by marking with a permanent or paint marker on the hive lid with the mite check date and method that was used
  • Record all hive movements in BeeMax for traceability.
  • Secure and cover loads of hives described on the permit during transit

There are two types of permits available to Victorian registered beekeepers. A once-off (single movement) return to Victoria permit applicable to those beekeepers wishing to return home and likely remain in Victoria for the next 12 months. Or a multiple entry permit. The multiple entry permit is applicable to beekeepers who may live along the border or whose business is reliant on regular access to sites in both NSW and Victoria. Please note the permit will only apply to a specific sub-unit of hives which need to be clearly identifiable, not to the “beekeeper” generally. Evidence of current Victorian registration must pre-date Jan 16th 2023 i.e. a beekeeper can’t apply for a new Victorian registration in order to be eligible for the permit.

Bee and hive movement permits

Permit to move hives from all states except NSW

Apply for this permit

Permit to move hives from NSW (single movement)

Apply for this permit

Permit to move hives from NSW (multiple movements)

Apply for this permit

Permit to move honeycomb, unprocessed beeswax or pollen

Apply for this permit

Permit to move queen bees

Apply for this permit

Permit to move full honey supers only

Apply for this permit

Permit to move used equipment only

Apply for this permit

Permit to move extracted frames only

Apply for this permit

The following approval is required to be published online to enable Victoria to accept livestock and livestock products from NSW under the permit system.

Livestock Disease Control Regulations 2017

Regulation 53


To: Persons who introduce into Victoria bees, bee products, pollen or used beekeeping fittings from an apiary that is under the laws of the State or Territory of the Commonwealth in which the apiary is located—

  1. in a quarantine area in respect of Varroosis (Varroa destructor); or
  2. in an area subject to restrictions on the movement of bees, bee products, pollen or beekeeping fittings due to Varroosis.

For the purposes of regulation 53 of the Livestock Disease Control Regulations 2017, I:

  1. am satisfied that the introduction of the bees, bee products, pollen or used beekeeping fittings into Victoria is unlikely to lead to the transmission of Varroosis from the bees, bee products, pollen or used beekeeping fittings to other livestock or humans; and
  2. approve the moving of bees, bee products, pollen or used beekeeping fittings from a State or Territory where Varroosis is present into Victoria, subject to the conditions of movement specified below.

This approval is valid from 1 January 2023 to 30 June 2023.

Stephen Dibley
A/Chief Plant Health Officer, Biosecurity Victoria

Date: 29/12/2022

Page last updated: 20 Jan 2023